Invitation to participate in the research project: “Enhancing Menstrual Hygiene Management in refugee camps in Greece"

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Invitation to participate in the research project: “Enhancing Menstrual Hygiene Management in refugee camps in Greece"

Thanks. Just wondering: are you able to post the questions that you plan to ask in your interviews here in this thread? This might help people make up their mind if they want to participate in your research or not. Secondly, if someone comes to this thread later, e.g. via a Google search, they can immediately see what the questions were. 
(I always advocate to anyone who is running a survey or wants to do interviews to reveal their questions also to those people who are not participating in the surveys or interviews.)

E.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Invitation to participate in the research project: “Enhancing Menstrual Hygiene Management in refugee camps in Greece"

Hi Daphne,

I am just wondering if you could perhaps post the questions that you plan to ask in your interviews here. That way, more people might be inclined to put their hands up and agree to be interviewed. Also, I'd suggest to not limit it to Greece but make it for any refugee camp around the world. Or what would be specific to Greece? The only difference I can see to other refugee camps is perhaps that the camps are better equipped and "wealthier" given that Greece is a country in Europe. And that the refugees there are perhaps more transient, more likely to move on to other countries in Europe (Germany?) compared to some other refugee camps around the world.

You mentioned "transgender and other people who menstruate" which I find an interesting choice of words. I would be more used to "women and trans-men" (although am I right to assume that not all trans-men menstruate?). However, I also see the term "menstruator" used more and more, for example in the Palgrave handbook (forum.susana.org/24-menstrual-hygiene-ma...-vulgar-or-unrefined).

I am not yet sure what to think of that. Maybe it's a good thing as it frames menstruation as something that can be relevant to men as well (trans-men in this case). Or maybe it somehow takes away some "womanhood" from us, something that made us special. Or we just have to get used to it.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Elisabeth

Hi Daphne,

Welcome to the SuSanA discussion forum! Which university are you at, and is your research project embedded in a larger project?

How successful has your literature review been so far before embarking on interviewing experts (asking them for 30 minutes of their time is quite long...)? For example, have you seen this thread with interesting publications on this topic in the forum's sub-category on challenging environments?:
Menstrual hygiene management in humanitarian situations (publications)

I wish you all the best with your research! This discussion forum is a great place for students to share, learn and network. So you have come to the right place. :-) 

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• dmanolakos
  • Topic Author

Invitation to participate in the research project: “Enhancing Menstrual Hygiene Management in refugee camps in Greece"

Hello everyone,

I would like to invite you to participate in my Master's thesis project on Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) in WASH  programmes and practices. My primary aim is to identify the challenges and gaps of the current MHM in refugee settings and the need for a broader progressive and inclusive MHM in refugee camps in Greece.

As part of my research, I would like to conduct interviews with WASH practitioners at headquarter- and field-level. In particular, I would like to discuss the specific menstrual needs of the most vulnerable people in the refugee camps in Greece, including people with disabilities, orphans, and other people who menstruate (trans-men, non-binary people,...), and how these are placed at the centre of programmes and practices. Identifying the efforts to integrate a so-called intersectional approach into WASH interventions will contribute to develop recommendations for greater gender equality and inclusion in refugee camps and to "leave no one behind" in emergency response.

Ideally, I would conduct the interviews in March via Zoom, phone or email (about 30 minutes & in English).

In any case, I would appreciate your help and input to participate in an interview and support my research project. If you know other colleagues who would like to share their knowledge and experiences, please forward this message.

All the best,

Daphne

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds