Request for practical learning on menstrual waste disposal, waste management and laundering in emergencies!

• torbenholmlarsen

Re: Reply: Request for practical learning on menstrual waste disposal, waste management and laundering in emergencies!

Dear Dr. Balachandra,

I think you can access the attachment in my reply to Susannah, but just in case I am attaching it here again.

Best regards
Torben

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

You need to login to reply
  • torbenholmlarsen

Re: Reply: Request for practical learning on menstrual waste disposal, waste management and laundering in emergencies!

Dear Siri and Susannah,

My reply is to both of you - trying not to spam the forum.

Siri, I shared the study we made with Safepad in cooperation with Solidarities International in Myanmar with you, you probably haven't read it yet. In this study the drying time of Safepad was evaluated. The result was that the users estimated the drying time to be between 1 and 1,5 hours in the dry season and up to 3 hours in the wet season. You are completely right about your comment that this is due to the fabric of the pad. Safepad is also made out of Polyester - 3 different sorts of materials, upper layer is a soft material that lets fluid pass, middle layer is highly absorbent microfiber and the back layer is water proof thin material - all are however 100% Polyester.

Susannah, the thin cotton sheets that are often used are reclaimed materials taken from any available source, be it old shirt, towels or other cloths, matress filing seems to be popular as well, even cow dung are reported being used. Obviously the user in many cases has little control over how clean these materials are before they start using them as menstruation material. Because of this and because of the risk of build up of bacteria and fungi from multiple use of regular reusable pads, we added the antimicrobial feature on Safepad - making it definitely more hygienic.

We are using Polyester because it is far more durable than cotton. A Safepad can be reused at least 100 times if care instructions are followed. Polyester is, from that perspective alone, significantly more environmentally friendly than cotton, but also the manufacturing process of Polyester gives it an environmental advantage over cotton. Cotton is probably the most poluting material around. 1 kg of cotton uses 10,000 liters of water and 16% of all insecticides used in agriculture worldwide goes into cotton growing.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Regina

This is an interesting one, how long can it be reused, I mean the of times: menstrual waste disposal, management and laundry in emerging situation.
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.906 seconds