Request for Grey Literature on Handwashing and Mental Health in Humanitarian Crises for dissertation

• emsghassemi
    Topic Author
  • User
  • MSc Control of Infectious Diseases student at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

Request for Grey Literature on Handwashing and Mental Health in Humanitarian Crises for dissertation

Dear all, 

I am working on a literature review for my dissertation on the following topic: Mapping the association between mental health and displaced people’s perceived and actual ability to practice hygiene-related behaviors in complex crisis-affected settings. My project topic was informed by prior research done by LSHTM and ACF and it is hoped that the review will contribute to shaping the future work of humanitarian organizations in this area. 

I will be conducting a scoping literature review on the topic using the methodological framework proposed by Arksey and O’Malley (2005). This framework involves a consultation exercise among key stakeholders, in my case from the Global WASH Cluster and the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Sub-Cluster, to identify additional references such as grey literature and potential studies to include. For this reason, I am reaching out to you. 

The research questions I am addressing are listed below. 

1. What is known about the association between mental health and people’s perceived and actual ability to practice handwashing behavior in humanitarian crises?
  2. How do different mental health conditions impact different elements of handwashing behavior?
  3. Are there opportunities for integrating mental health and hygiene programs?
  4. What are the gaps in the literature? 
  5. What are areas for future research?

My request to you is do you have additional references such as grey literature and potential studies that I can include in my scoping review? I am interested in anything related to:

Mental health and psychosocial support (specifically post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, or anxiety, emotional distress, personal wellbeing, or any other psychological disorders) in relation to Hygiene behavior (handwashing, handwashing with soap, hand cleaning with sanitizer, hand disinfection, or handwashing with ash) in humanitarian settings: (disasters, outbreaks, conflicts, or complex crises, particularly in low- and middle-income countries).

I am reviewing literature from databases such PubMed, MEDLINE, EMBASE, Global Health, and the LSHTM library. I will also identify grey literature through displacement-relevant portals including the International Rescue Committee, United Nations Children’s Fund WASH, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, RAND, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention WASH, International Committee of the Red Cross, and World Bank Water. 

Your participation will be a valuable addition to my research and allows me to gain a wider insight into this topic. 

Please let me know if you can refer me to anything useful or if you can connect me to others I could ask. Thank you in advance.  

Kind regards, 

Emily Ghassemi 
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds