Request for Grey Literature on Handwashing and Mental Health in Humanitarian Crises for dissertation

• emsghassemi
    Topic Author
  • User
  • MSc Control of Infectious Diseases student at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

Request for Grey Literature on Handwashing and Mental Health in Humanitarian Crises for dissertation

Dear all, 

I am working on a literature review for my dissertation on the following topic: Mapping the association between mental health and displaced people’s perceived and actual ability to practice hygiene-related behaviors in complex crisis-affected settings. My project topic was informed by prior research done by LSHTM and ACF and it is hoped that the review will contribute to shaping the future work of humanitarian organizations in this area. 

I will be conducting a scoping literature review on the topic using the methodological framework proposed by Arksey and O’Malley (2005). This framework involves a consultation exercise among key stakeholders, in my case from the Global WASH Cluster and the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Sub-Cluster, to identify additional references such as grey literature and potential studies to include. For this reason, I am reaching out to you. 

The research questions I am addressing are listed below. 

1. What is known about the association between mental health and people’s perceived and actual ability to practice handwashing behavior in humanitarian crises?
  2. How do different mental health conditions impact different elements of handwashing behavior?
  3. Are there opportunities for integrating mental health and hygiene programs?
  4. What are the gaps in the literature? 
  5. What are areas for future research?

My request to you is do you have additional references such as grey literature and potential studies that I can include in my scoping review? I am interested in anything related to:

Mental health and psychosocial support (specifically post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, or anxiety, emotional distress, personal wellbeing, or any other psychological disorders) in relation to Hygiene behavior (handwashing, handwashing with soap, hand cleaning with sanitizer, hand disinfection, or handwashing with ash) in humanitarian settings: (disasters, outbreaks, conflicts, or complex crises, particularly in low- and middle-income countries).

I am reviewing literature from databases such PubMed, MEDLINE, EMBASE, Global Health, and the LSHTM library. I will also identify grey literature through displacement-relevant portals including the International Rescue Committee, United Nations Children’s Fund WASH, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, RAND, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention WASH, International Committee of the Red Cross, and World Bank Water. 

Your participation will be a valuable addition to my research and allows me to gain a wider insight into this topic. 

Please let me know if you can refer me to anything useful or if you can connect me to others I could ask. Thank you in advance.  

Kind regards, 

Emily Ghassemi 
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary
You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • I'm passionate about SuSanA's role in the WASH sector since about 2005. I'm a freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Request for Grey Literature on Handwashing and Mental Health in Humanitarian Crises for dissertation

Hi Emily,

Welcome to the SuSanA discussion forum! I just noticed that your post didn't get a reply yet. That's a pity because it strikes me as an interesting topic. So I am posting here in this thread to get your post back to the top of the pile.

I also did a search for "mental health" here on the forum, using the search field above. You might have already done that search yourself. A few threads came up. Some dealt with mental health issues that were caused by lack of sanitation, which is not what you're after.

Then there was a post by Dan in May 21 ( here ) where he mentioned a paper on this topic, perhaps it's relevant:
Does poor mental health change the influence of interventions on handwashing in a vulnerable population of rural Malawi? The key role of emotions
iwaponline.com/washdev/article/11/3/350/...nge-the-influence-of

How far along are you with your literature review at this stage? Have any trends emerged yet? Do tell us more.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Head moderator of this Discussion Forum
(with financial support by GIZ from July to October 2021)

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
Founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: Request for Grey Literature on Handwashing and Mental Health in Humanitarian Crises for dissertation

Slightly off topic, but this book review by an US-based psychologist has some interesting thoughts on psycho-social interventions in various settings and after emergencies:  astralcodexten.substack.com/p/book-review-crazy-like-us

I have not read the book itself, but if you are interested in the general topic it sounds like a must read.
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds