16th SuSanA meeting in Stockholm (with feedback)

40.2k views

Page selection:
  • dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Re: Planning has begun for the 16th SuSanA meeting in Stockholm, 31 Aug. and 1. Sept. 2012

Sandy, can you provide me the contact of Tommy Ngai?
Thank you! Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • sjoerdnienhuys
  • Technical advisor on low-cost sanitation, worked for Aga Khan in the Himalayas, PUM in Asia,/Afica and Latin America, SNV in Nepal, DGIS in Latin America UNhabitat in Africa, and Waste /Gouda in India on ECO sanitation and biogas

Re: Content Ideas for the 16th SuSanA meeting in Stockholm, 31 Aug. and 1. Sept. 2012

I can refer to some papers that are available such as "Cities Farming for the Future" ,subtitle "Urban Agriculture for Green and Productive Cities", by Rene van Veenhuizen, 19 MB too large to attach. See other attachments.

Maybe a separate number or factsheet can be developed because it is a wide subject and requiring more attention, als from the point of view of building design. Architects now come with ideas for skycrapers that have a totally green facade for improved climate, but it would be more practical if that facade also produces food.
Sjoerd from The Netherlands.
Pronounce: 'Sured'
Some of my work on: www.nienhuys.info
for correspondence: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

• dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Re: Content Ideas for the 16th SuSanA meeting in Stockholm, 31 Aug. and 1. Sept. 2012

Dear Sjoerd

Would you like to moderate a short session on this topic or give a presentation? Do you have some particular curriculum material in mind that you would like to share with WG1?
Best regards
Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• sjoerdnienhuys
  • Technical advisor on low-cost sanitation, worked for Aga Khan in the Himalayas, PUM in Asia,/Afica and Latin America, SNV in Nepal, DGIS in Latin America UNhabitat in Africa, and Waste /Gouda in India on ECO sanitation and biogas

Re: Planning has begun for the 16th SuSanA meeting in Stockholm, 31 Aug. and 1. Sept. 2012

It would be interesting to develop a comprehensive advise or guidebook on URBAN AGRICULTURE based on the recycling of human waste. Biogas production in combination with kitchen waste recycling, slurry processing, dry toilet systems with extra composting (vermiculture), urine diversion for both cases (biogas and dry compost), and the utilization of rainwater and grey water can be included. Naturally, different climate zones need to be taken into consideration. The local marketing of the produce and information on greenhouse design for the colder areas can be part of the package.
for correspondence: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• sjoerdnienhuys

It would be interesting to establish a clear linkage between urban sanitation and energy consumption for the processing of human waste in different manners. Currently large energy consumption (including water production) is needed in Western societies to flush, transport (building and maintenance sewerage systems), treatment, purify and discharge human waste without generation of energy from that waste. The land use can also be considered. Since energy will continuously increase relatively in cost compared to other products, city managers may be interested in lower cost options and generation of energy from biogas, or income from fertilizer. Studies in this respect should try to capitalize all costs involved in the various processes and compare the differences.

• sjoerdnienhuys

Under CAPACITY BUILDING, the SuSanA can/should have a look at the development of sample models of curriculum for schools, starting with pre-kinder, primary, secondary and higher. Only by including the recycling of human waste as an extension of the biology lessons, durable awareness can be created about the different options (durable, costing for individual and community, sustainable, etc.) of our toilet behaviour. While we need sanitation on a daily basis the issue is hardly spoken about in our education system.
Teaching modules can be developed for different cultural settings.
For each higher level of education the more complicated issues can be addressed. For example: Beginning of primary school - hygienics; End of primary school - cost and quantity calculations; Secondary school - chemistry and politics.

• h_soroosh

hello Mariska. thank you for your attention. i am on a trip in Denmark for a week. when i am back i wille send my powerpoint to you. good luck.
cheers
Hadi Soroosh

• MRonteltap
  • Lecturer Sanitary Engineering teaching in SuSan at UNESCO-IHE

Hadi, I cannot find how to reply to you individually, so therefore a post here:

If you have some more information, or you have your ppt ready on microalgae with urine, would it be possible for you to share that? I am teaching a lot in the field of ecosan, and I was just reading more about this specific route and how to include that in my lectures. Naturally you will be quoted appropriately; if you have some accompanying literature that I cannot find otherwise I'd be happy with that too. Many thanks in advance!

I'll reply to your urine question in that thread.

Sorry I cannot meet you in Stockholm, I'm teaching in that period here in Delft.

Best regards, Mariska.
The following user(s) like this post: h_soroosh

• h_soroosh

I have conducted experimental researches for Kristianstad University and Norges Vel, as SuSanA parteners about microalgae biomass production using human urine. The purpose of microlagae biomass production is to produce biodiesel and other side products coupled with urine treatment and nutrients removal. I think the potentials regarding energy and livestock food production using wastewater (particularly separated human urine) are neglected in our discussions so far.
Would be great if you could arrange a group meeting during the SuSanA 16th meeting to discuss the capacities and sharing the experiences. I can come up with a 20 minutes presentation about how human urine can support microalgae biomass production and the sustainable energy, nutrients and water cycles involving the process. Microalgae biodiesel is known as the most productive solution for biodiesel generation and human urine can beat chemical fertilizers for high density microalage cultivation.

Cheers,
Hadi Soroosh

• CAGIEA

Hi Dorothee,

CAGIEA is an enterprise which intends to maximize the opportunists in sanitation as business to benefit the populous of East Africa.
We have observed how an active person spends his day in East Africa. Our findings is that active persons spend most of there useful time away from home.
On the sanitation side this implies that a lot of pressure is always put on public toilets rendering the domestic toilets out of use by the members most of the time.
People are always on the move, we need a lot public toilets not only in public areas but also along highways. There is a tendency of travelers drop poop in bush or garden on highways this is not only dangerous to environment but lowers the dignity of the person doing it, there is also a danger of likely snake bits in the bush.
Globally there is campaign against open defecation so we would what to see such a thing happening untended. Constructing the public toilets alone can not be a remedy because people wont use them unless when they have been directed to the facilities and assured of the hygiene at premises.
CAGIEA has come up with an East Africa Public Toilets Guide and a professional Toilet cleaning service as partial remedy to the problem but a lot has to be done given required support.
We therefore suggest this problem be addressed in 16th meeting in Stockholm

Best regards
Mastulah
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• tmsinnovation
  • I manage the Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project) and previously coordinated the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka project in Zambia. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Re: Online Registration is NOW OPEN for the 16th SuSanA meeting in Stockholm, 31 Aug. and 1. Sept. 2012

Hi All

Please registering online for the 16th SuSanA meeting in Stockholm if you plan to attend.

You can see the draft agenda here on the meeting page: www.susana.org/lang-en/meetings/16th-sus...ing-stockholm-sweden

A quick link to the registration page is here: www.susana.org/registration-susana-meeting

We look forward to your continued input on the agenda and also to seeing you in Stockholm. Right now we are discussing the right level of mixture between technical presentations/discussions to more strategic discussions about where SuSanA should be headed and future working group activities.

Rgds
Trevor (and Elisabeth)

Trevor Surridge
Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project)
Project Manager

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Shmeisani,
Amman
Jordan
Attachments:

• former member

Hi Dorothee,

CAWST is an organization conducting training and capacity building globally since 2001. We focus specifically on household water treatment, sanitation and hygiene. In collaboration with Cranfield University (UK), we recently conducted a global review and cataloguing of capacity building organizations in water and sanitation for developing countries. The project identified 104 capacity builders, including NGOs, development banks, research institutions, government institutions, private companies, international institutions, foundations, churches, and networks. The catalogue outlines information on each capacity builder, including capacity building themes, target audiences, how capacity is built, and how efforts are monitored and evaluated. The catalogue is freely available from CAWST.

CAWST will know if we will be attending the Stockholm WWW by the end of July. If so, my colleague who supervised the study, Tommy Ngai, would be happy to make a presentation on the review and identified gaps in capacity building in the sector, if SuSanA and/or the working group are interested.

Best regards,

Sandy Davis
CAWST (Centre for Affordable Water and Sanitation Technology)
www.cawst.org

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name sdavis who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.
The following user(s) like this post: tmsinnovation

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds