Data on Excreta from the Target Population

Page selection:
  • blackburn
    Topic Author
  • Glad to Be conversing with this group

Re: Data on Excreta from the Target Poplulation

Thank you every body. I have also found an interesting one;
Simulated Human Feces for Testing Waste Processing Technologies in Space Systems, (2006) Kanapathipillah, et al. SAE Technical Papers, 2006-01-2180

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • former member

Jim,

See table 9.1 for fecal sludge characteristics, including COD, from five cities in developing countries: web.idrc.ca/es/ev-151738-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

Regards,
Rosalyn

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name rosalyn who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

• Taber
  • I am a student of water, trying to keep our treatment designs 'as simple as possible but not simpler'.

Hi, I’m not sure how relevant this may be to you, but it’s a useful site: oasisdesign.net/water/quality/coliform.htm Scroll down to see their “typical first world standards”. Best ways, Taber Hand, Wetlands Work!
R. Taber Hand, Ph.D.
Founding Director
Wetlands Work! Ltd.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

wetlandswork.com
LinkedIn: Taber Hand

• Andrew

Jim,

Here is his email (I just emailed him). *****. He is a Ph.D Assistant Professor at NIT Surat ( Gujarat). I thought it was IIT. Anyway, hopefully I’ll hear something back, and I’ll let you know.

Andrew

• Andrew

Jim,

My friend Kunwar Yadav at the Indian Institute of Technology has a really good list of all sorts of chemical and physical data for excreta. It’s the bomb. I saw in one of his presentations in Europe last year. I asked him a while ago for it but he hasn’t sent it yet. I can email him again (I would like the list too), or you could contact him (just google his name and IIT), and then maybe he’d feel the pressure :) He’s a really knowledgeable person and a nice guy. I’ve seen him present and have worked with him a bit in group projects.

I’ll look at the links Rosalyn provided as well.

Cheers,

Andrew

• former member

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your post. Many of our grantees have approached us for the same information, but as you know there is little data available on the various properties of human excreta. In response to this problem, the Foundation has initiated several contracts for data collection on the properties of excreta in various locations. Once these studies are complete, the information will be made openly available.

In the mean time, here are a few sources that might be worth looking into:
– NASA paper on simulant feces for process testing: papers.sae.org/2006-01-2180/
– US Patent 5,356,626 Synthetic Fecal Fluid Compound by Richard Yeo and Debra Welchel: www.google.com/patents/US5356626?printse...#v=onepage&q&f=false

Best,
Rosalyn

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name rosalyn who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

• stevensugden

James, These links may be useful.
www.sanitationventures.com/_pdf/Latrines-Literature-Review.pdf
www.sanitationventures.com/_pdf/Technolo...ndscaping-Report.pdf

We are also monitoring around 50 pits in Tanzania of which COD is a key parameter. Try jeroen.ensink@****.ac.uk for more info.

• blackburn
    Topic Author
  • Glad to Be conversing with this group

Data on Excreta from the Target Population

I have been unable to find much information on the physical, biological, chemical and rheological properties of fresh excreta form our target population. We especially need information on the COD of the mixed excreta, since our technology will be based on the COD of the feed (fresh human excreta). The lack of information does not effect our Phase 1 project as we are dealing with the most concentrated stream in the treatment plant, about 33g/L COD, but will effect the system’s design for fresh human excreta. Thanks in advance for anybody’s help. Regards, Jim

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds