Shit flow diagrams (SFDs) for towns in Zambia, combination with climate change information?

Page selection:
  • Prit
  • Sruthi

Re: Shit flow diagrams (SFDs) for towns in Zambia, combination with climate change information?

Dear Elisabeth, Mintje and Chaiwe,

I am Sruthi, a research scholar from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay. I came across this post when I was searching for climate SFDs. I am from Thrissur, a town in Kerala, India and as a personal project, I was interested in creating a SFD for understanding wastewater flows in my town.

Thrissur completely depends on on-site systems for faecal waste management. There are no STPs or FSTPs in the district and invariably all the waste finds its way into soil and waterbodies. I am hoping that this project will catch the attention of local authorities and lead to an acknowledgment of the problem and eventually action. Adding climate change data (in terms of carbon emission) to that analysis will open up possibilities for mitigation in WASH sector. Further, climate SFD has the potential to engage local stakeholders from the state as there is increasing focus on creating resilient infrastructure due to Kerala’s vulnerability to climate change.

The report on Lusaka is interesting and it is encouraging to see the integration of inclusive sanitation with green liveable cities. I would like to know if there are further updates in terms of studies/project reports in this area that I can refer to. Also, I would appreciate it if you can connect me to people who have worked on or are working on any such projects currently.

Regards,
Sruthi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Shit flow diagrams (SFDs) for towns in Zambia, combination with climate change information?

Hi Mintje and Chaiwe,

I am finding this conversation quite interesting, combining shit flow diagrams (SFDs) with climate change information, in particular greenhouse gas emissions. 

Mintje, what is the current status regarding this, i.e. what data have you been able to collate so far?:

"As you might be aware the main challenge so far is the data scarcity, especially regarding emissions from OSS systems."

We had a related discussion here on the discussion forum in the sub-category on climate change and sanitation: forum.susana.org/195-climate-change-and-...g-the-linkages#31590

Chaiwe: I am also wondering if now would be a good time to set up a Wikipedia article on "Climate change in Zambia" where this kind of information could be included. We currently have 54 such articles and I have recently been working on improving them all by giving them a standard structure. You can see here what the articles look like so far: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Climate_change_by_country

Some are very short, some long and detailed; for Sub-Saharan Africa we have these climate change country articles so far: South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Senegal, Liberia, Nigeria, the Gambia. But not yet for Zambia! Ready to take up the challenge?

The link to the proposed standard structure is here .

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Mintje

Dear Chaiwe, 

thank you for taking up this topic again. A first version of a so-called "Climate SFD" has been produced last year in Lusaka, combining the data from the SFD you had already posted with a first baseline of the ECAM tool. It has been published in the publication "Towards inclusive, green city sanitation for Lusaka – achievements and way forward" .
The GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme is always interested to learn from and collaborate with projects and organizations that are working on the topic of climate mitigation and GHG emissions in the sanitation and wastewater sector, to further develop the topic of "climate SFDs". As you might be aware the main challenge so far is the data scarcity, especially regarding emissions from OSS systems.

Regards,
Mintje
Mintje Büürma

SuSanA Secretariat, SFD-PI Secretariat

Sector Program Sustainable Sanitation
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Chaiwe
    Topic Author
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Shit flow diagrams (SFDs) for towns in Zambia, combination with climate change information?

Dear All,

The SFD has been a popular tool in Zambia like other parts of the world within the sanitation sector in the past couple of years. A number of city-wide SFDs have been developed in a number of towns within Zambia, including Lusaka. The Lusaka SFD of 2018 here  is being used as a baseline for the Lusaka Sanitation Programme (LSP) that is scaling up sanitation services in Lusaka. The programme comes to an end in 2022 at which time it would be great to see a comparative SFD for 2022 to see what impacts the service provisions would have had on the city. 

Therefore, I would like to know what advances are planned with respect to the tool by the SFD initiate. I am aware that there were initial discussions to depict emissions information across the sanitation service chain within the tool. How far has this gone?

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

The following user(s) like this post: Mintje

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds