New document - SNV e-discussion on climate change and rural WASH services

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: New document - SNV e-discussion on climate change and rural WASH services

Yes, please! (to your question "perhaps something more simple like a Wikipedia page, or collection of pages, would do the job?")
Rather than starting new Wikipedia articles, you could probably beef up existing ones with that content. That way, you can be guaranteed higher pageview figures right from the start.

Regarding those new/stand-alone "hubs", I am not a big fan of them. Do they actually work? Do they lead to sustained, high view rates or document downloads? Is anyone monitoring?

I haven't gone to the websites of Sanitation Hub, Sanitation Learning Hub and the Covid-19 Hygiene Hub lately myself. Most people just find what they are looking for through Google, or? One unified library could also be great but there is usually IT compatibility issues, so everyone builds up their own libraries instead (we have of course the SuSanA library with 3600 entries here ).

Looking forward to a further discussion on various options.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • SeanFurey
    Topic Author
  • Director of the Rural Water Supply Network (RWSN), at Skat Foundation

Thanks everyone! I'm looking into the idea of whether a dedicated knowledge hub is needed for Climate Resilient WASH. Any thoughts on this? It should:
  • complement and link what others have done (for example the Sanitation Hub), 
  • offer practical, high guidance that draws on latest research
  • Link WASH, water resources, water resources, energy, nutrition, health 
I think hubs like the Sanitation Learning Hub and the Covid-19 Hygiene Hub are great example, but perhaps something more simple like a Wikipedia page, or collection of pages, would do the job?

• Petra
  • Co-founder and former staff member of the CLTS Knowledge Hub (now Sanitation Learning Hub) at IDS, now consultant with 14 years' experience of knowledge management, participatory workshop facilitation, communications and networking. Interested in behaviour change, climate justice and embodied leadership

Hi Sean, good to see the SNV discussion and your post here.  In case it's of interest, we have also just started a discussion about climate change and rural sanitation over here following on from the publication of the Frontiers 17: Rural Sanitation and Climate Change on the topic by the Sanitation Learning Hub at IDS (UK) and The Institute for Sustainable Futures at UTS (Australia) and a webinar we hosted on the 14th July to present the content of the publication. The Frontiers aims to present actionable guidance on how the rural sanitation and hygiene sector can respond to climate change through planning and implementing project delivery, enabling demand, changing behaviour, addressing social norms, monitoring and evaluation, and people-centred activities at the local level. In an earlier review of the literature on sanitation and climate change we found that much of the discussion focused on technological improvements. We feel that whilst resilient technology is of course crucial, the human dimension of the challenge needs to receive equal attention.

We hope to carry on the conversation with three phases of discussion here on the SuSanA Forum so it would be great to get yours and other people's views and experiences via comments. We will keep going with this till September when we will host a more interactive Sharing and Learning workshop on the topic.

Please take a look at the discussion thread here

Many good wishes,
Petra
Petra Bongartz
independent consultant
The following user(s) like this post: SeanFurey

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Sean,

Thanks for alerting us to this publication (“EQUITY, CLIMATE CHANGE AND RURAL WATER,SANITATION AND HYGIENE (WASH)”, SUMMARY OF EGROUP DISCUSSION, 20TH MAY – 10 JUNE 2021, SNV NETHERLANDS DEVELOPMENT ORGANISATION).

You asked about further resources that could help others plan and respond to the climate change threat. I guess we have a few mentioned in this sub-category: 
forum.susana.org/195-climate-change-and-sanitation

and also in the SuSanA library we have now these 69 publications, found by using the search term  "climate change": www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...title=&author=&year=
(click on "exact phrase", not on "any words")

But you might have something more specific in mind?

Another thing that I am doing is to improve Wikipedia articles that are related to climate change and water aspects. A lot of people turn to Wikipedia to find an entry point for anything that they are curious about. These are the Wikipedia articles on SDG 6 and SDG 13 that I am helping to improve over a period of two years (we are half way): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S..._13_(Climate_action)
Publications that come out from the WASH sector on these topics could be used to enrich the Wikipedia articles (and be cited there).

Regards,
Elisabeth 
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• ymshana

Thank you Sean for this.
In my experience this interventions that carry  Climate Resilience and WASH is too heavy to  be carried by actors such as members of RWSN alone. 
We need to reach out by escalating issues to Policy Managers throughout.  There is no Poverty  in this issue because it affects all in this world. 
Let the effort continue  by stretching  our efforts.

That is my Sunday afternoon thinking.
Thank you all.
Dr Yassin Mshana 

• SeanFurey
    Topic Author
  • Director of the Rural Water Supply Network (RWSN), at Skat Foundation

New document - SNV e-discussion on climate change and rural WASH services

Dear Colleagues

SNV recently had a lively e-discussion on climate change and rural WASH services, which they have kindly allowed us to share: rural-water-supply.net/en/resources/details/986

This is a topic of increasing importance so it would be great to know what resources are out there that could help others plan and respond to climate threat?

The main resource that I am aware of is the UNICEF/GWP strategic framework for climate resilience: www.gwp.org/en/WashClimateResilience/

Thanks!
Sean

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds