Targeted programs for urban septic upgrades - lessons learned?

Page selection:
  • arulrich
  • User

Re: Targeted programs for urban septic upgrades - lessons learned?

Dear colleagues, 
I can only share this file about FSM Indonesia at the moment as another file is too big.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Details of attached file added by the moderator (pcp) using google translator:
Title:  Guidelines - Detailed Engineering Planning Installation Processing Sludge (IPLT)
Published by: 
Directorate Of Environmental Dissemination Development
Directorate General Of Copyrighted Works
Ministry Of Public Works And People's Housing
Jalan Pattimura 20, Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta-12110

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Fadli

Hi Andreas,

I have interest to learn more for about FSM in Indonesia. Maybe you can also  write summary on one or two specific project targeted on improving FSM in Indonesia. Also, if you don't mind, I would like to have the documents.
You can reach me via email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Fadli

• arulrich
  • User

Hi Paresh,
The  Government of Indonesia does implement various programs to improve the FSM service chain, and supports installation of certified pre-fabricated septic tanks and DEWATS on a large scale. Unfortunately, information about these programs is available in Bahasa Indonesia, not in English language. I can send you some documents if needed.

Regards,

Andreas
The following user(s) like this post: Fadli

• TMichaels
  • Topic Author

Dear Paresh, 

Thank you for the information, it's good to know that I'm not crazy thinking there isn't much literature on the subject. 

I'm very interested in learning more about the program; it sounds very relevant. We also have high groundwater and although we've done household surveys, I agree that the data may not be fully accurate and our definitions may not match the actual situation. 

A targeted containment program is clearly needed, but it seems extremely complicated to cost and implement, particularly with many middle-income houses. 

Thanks again!

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Dear Terra,
Appropriateness of on-site systems is under researched area in my reading of recent literature on FSM. Where local governments are trying to implement FSM, the challenges you list are real and often delay and derail improvements. 

I found the same issue in a town in Kerala, India where I did field work for my PhD research. Often all on-site systems are referred to as septic tanks, had to dig deeper to differentiate between pits and septic tanks. Found that most were pits, and they are not safe for the high ground water table in the region. The Government has initiated a program to promote houses to get their pits replaced with septic tanks, but it is yet to start as much as I know. 

Let me know if you would like to know more about this program, don't have anything in hand right now, but can get some details if I dig deeper. 

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• TMichaels
  • Topic Author

Targeted programs for urban septic upgrades - lessons learned?

Dear Susana members, 

I'm researching solutions to improve the value chain for FSM in urban and peri-urban areas of cities in Southeast Asia. One of the real needs is to improve containment - overall, there is significant containment in the research area, but with significantly varying quality and accessibility for emptying operators. Most sanitation subsidy programs I know of are targeted at rural areas.

Does anyone have some good examples or resources for septic improvement programs in urban areas, particularly targeting the poor?

Thanks in advance for your inputs. 

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds