World Water Forum Priority for Action "Improve access to integrated sanitation"

Page selection:
  • jonpar
    Topic Author
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Re: World Water Forum : Priority for Action: Improve access to integrated sanitation services for all.

attached are other session plans. best regards, Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • jonpar
    Topic Author
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Re: World Water Forum : Priority for Action: Improve access to integrated sanitation services for all.

Dear all,

Pleased find below a summary of the various sessions next week at the World Water Forum in Marsellie under the Priority for Action: Improve access to integrated sanitation services for all. Further details are attached to this message. Please forward to those who you think will be interested to attend these sessions.

I will send this advert to other old people - like myself ?

Best regards,

Jonathan Parkinson
Programmes Manager – Urban Sanitation Initiative
International Water Association

email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

****************************************************************************************6th World Water Forum - Strategic Direction: Ensure everyone’s well-being
Priority for Action 1.2 : Improve access to integrated sanitation services for all

Coordinator: International Water Association

Core group : Portuguese Association of Water Resources (APRH), Programme Solidarité-Eau (PS-Eau), Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC), Water and Sanitation Program (WSP), UNESCO-International Hydrological Programme (UNESCO-IHP), Sanitation and Water for All (SWA)

Introduction

Priority for Action 1.2 reflects the complexity of the challenges that face those working on sanitation. Therefore, by necessity, 1.2 covers hardware and software issues, a wide range of sanitation options and associated preconditions for improving access. Targets are organized around a nexus of three themes as follows:

Sustained access to improved sanitation : including the recent focus on the human rights declaration (Target 4) as well as the more conventional focus of development discussions on this theme, namely, lower cost sanitation facilities targeted at the poorest and most marginalized in society (Target 1). This theme also emphasized the need for servicing of toilets to ensure sustained service delivery (Target 2).

Integrated management of the sanitation chain: focusing on sanitation services delivery with a view towards integrated management of servicing of household level sanitation (Target 2) with downstream treatment (Target 8) and reuse (Target 3) with an emphasis on using innovative technologies, finance and management solutions to provide cost effective and cost beneficial solutions.

Planning to improve sanitation at scale (including governance and policy processes): in this theme, targets focus specifically on cross cutting issues of planning at national (Target 5) and local level (Target 6) and involvement of the different stakeholders (Multi-stakeholder Forum).

The importance of monitoring (Target 7) as a means to manage information about sanitation services; both as a means to support planning processes, prioritize investment and as a means to ensure lines of accountability between governments and their regulatory authorities, services providers and citizens/customers.

PFA 1.2 Sessions

WED 14 March

8:30-10:30 Introductory Session: Integrated Sanitation for All – a call for concerted action. Palais des événements (PdE) - Hall 1 (A) PEv A5 Grand salon Target 4

11:00-13:00 Target 5 National Sanitation Planning Palais de l'Europe (PEU)- hall 8 PEu 8

14:30-16:30 Target 6: How can Local authorities lead local sanitation planning strategies, by involving all stakeholders? Palais de l'Europe (PEU)- hall 8 PEu 8 Target 2

14:30-16:30 Target 3 : Water Reuse in Urban and Water Scarce Areas in Developed and Developing Countries Palais des congrès (PdC) N+2 PC 16 Riou

17:00-19:00 Multi-stakeholder panel: Sustainable sanitation services for all: how to involve the different political levels to implement an integrated sanitation chain approach PEu 2 - Europa 2 Palais de l'Europe

Thursday

8:30-10 :30 Target 8: Improving the Effectiveness of Investments in Wastewater treatment Infrastructure - Palais de l'Europe (PEU)- hall 8 PEu 6

8:30-10 :30 Target 4: Implementing the Human Right to Sanitation Palais de l'Europe (PEU)- hall 8 PEu 5 Palais des congrès (PdC) N+1 PC 10 Goude 2

11:00-13:00 Target 1: Basic sanitation and hygiene for all! Solutions for reaching the unreached - Palais des congrès (PdC) RDJ PC 1 Endoume 1+2

11:00-13:00 What do I do when my toilet pit is full? - Sanitation in developing countries shouldnot be restricted to latrines - Palais des congrès (PdC) RDJ PC 2 Endoume 3

Target 7 Monitoring of wastewater management systems - Palais des congrès (PdC) RDJ PC 2 Endoume 3

FRIDAY 16 March

Closing session : Making Commitments and Mobilizing Resources for Integrated Sanitation - achieving improvements at scale
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: World Water Forum Priority for Action "Improve access to integrated sanitation"

Dear Jonathan,
Thanks for your reply, which prompted me to click around a bit on their website a bit (www.solutionsforwater.org).
Wow, this looks huge... And they are really trying to get lots of people involved which is quite nice.

Are you able to tell us who the coordinators are for the 8 targets which you had listed?
I got a bit lost on the website with the number there (1.1.2, 1.1.3 etc.).
Ah, actually, I think I am slowly getting it. This page lists the targets under the priority areas:

http://www.solutionsforwater.org./groups/1-2-improve-access-to-integrated-sanitation-services-for-all/

I see that one SuSanA partner (WECF) has already submitted a solution. Perhaps this will encourage others to do the same.

Although I wonder: what incentive would an NGO have to submit a solution? I mean there is no prize money or funding option, right? It is about the "honor" to have one's solution included within those final ministerial recommendations and the "commitments", is that right?

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• jonpar
    Topic Author

Re: World Water Forum Priority for Action "Improve access to integrated sanitation"

Dear Elisabeth,

I can understand and appreciate your queries about the targets. The aim is to promote these thematic targets as part of the Ministerial and Regional processes and to gain governmental support to these targets which would then become "commitments" at the Forum next March,

The trajectory is more important than the absolute numbers proposed but it is a good to ask about how they relate to the MDG targets. It is my understanding that the targets are aiming to encourage governments to consider that provision of toilets is not the end of the problem and that integrated solutions are beneficial for society, the environment and the economy.

Evidently people will have queries about some of the detail, and if you don't want to contribute towards a specific target because you have fundamental doubts about it then there is no obligation to contribute. It is not my position to defend all that is stated but to act as a co-ordinator of this Priority for Action.

However saying that, although I recognise that people will have sceptism about some of the details of the targets and the process, I believe that it is worthwhile to take this opportunity to encourage governments to take sanitation (in its broader sense) more seriously.

With regards to your final question, it it up to the target co-ordinators how they use the solutions that are submitted to their target, but the basic idea is that we need to have tangible solutions to support the ministerial recommendations. Withouth the "solutuions", the recommendations could be critised for being political rhetoric lacking substance. Therefore, if you have a "solution" (and I know the Susana network has many) then I would encourage you to bring these to the attention of the target co-ordinator. If you want to now how the target co-ordinator will encorporate the solutition into the target action plan, than I would advise contacting him/her through me prior to spending time filling in the form which has been predefined by the the WWF.

best regards,

Jonathan

........................................................................................
Jonathan Parkinson PhD.
Programmes Manager - Sanitation, Water Quality and Health
Regional Co-ordinator - South Asia

International Water Association www.iwahq.org

email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Telephone: + 44 20 300 48528
Mobile: + 44 770 220 2646
Fax: +44 20 7654 5555
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Jonathan,
Thanks for putting this (again) on the forum and trying to get our attention. I have to admit that I have not yet been involved in this World Water Forum Preparatory work and am still a little confused about the process.

Is it possible that in a nutshell, you could give us some short explanations/answers on these questions which have popped up for me:
  1. Whose targets are these? They seem good but very ambitious.
  2. How do they related to the MDG targets or are the new targets?
  3. Who would be in charge of monitoring them? Some of the targets will be next to impossible to measure, like this one:

Target 2: Reduce by 25% by 2020 the percentage of people whose wastewater is neither collected nor treated properly

Unless it is meant to be done on a city level rather than a global figure?

What is meant by "submitting a solution"? Any solution would be a complex conglomerate of hardware, software, governance, financing,... How are we expected to submit "a solution"? What would be done with this submitted solution?

Sorry for being lazy and not reading through the web pages of the WWF, but hopefully these are very simple questions for you to answer?

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• jonpar
    Topic Author

Dear SuSanA colleagues,

This just a reminder as this is probably the last chance for the SuSanA network to contribute to the targets under the World Water Forum Priority for Action "Improve access to integrated sanitation".

If you want to contribute towards one of the targets by submitting a solution, then please contact me and I will direct you to the person who is responsible for the relevant target.

The targets are :

Target 1: By 2050 whole population/communities (every one and especially children) use and properly maintain appropriate sanitary toilets.

Target 2: Reduce by 25% by 2020 the percentage of people whose wastewater is neither collected nor treated properly

Target 3: By 2025, increase by 25% urban wastewater and excreta re-use in different sectors (agricultural, tourism, municipal uses, energy generation) where financially and culturally viable, and especially in water-scarce and drought-prone regions

Target 4: For 2012, clarify the scope of the internationally-recognised Human Right to Sanitation taking into account national experiences, and publish 1 document highlighting the practical implications of the Right to Sanitation for practitioners

Target 5: By 2020, at least 20 additional countries will have adopted and implemented a comprehensive strategic sanitation plan for urban, peri-urban and rural areas. The plan shall include a hierarchy of priorities for subsequent plans of actions to be implemented at national and local levels and shall cover all components of the sanitation chain

Target 6: By 2020, at least 500 additional urban, peri-urban and rural local authorities will have adopted and implemented, by involving local stakeholders, local strategy and action plans that cover all components of the sanitation chain and are in accordance with a national comprehensive strategic sanitation plan and priorities

Target 7: By 2025, regular comprehensive monitoring of appropriate wastewater treatment at national and global levels

Target 8: By 2025 improve the operator efficiency and effectiveness of wastewater and wastewater treatment methods in 100 cities across a range of city sizes

Solutions must contribute to tackling a key sanitation -related issue and help reach the World Water Forum targets in any regions in the world. Solutions can be institutional (multistakeholder plans, policies, governance structures…), technical (an appropriate device, a plant, a tool, a software…), financial (levy, transfers, tariffs…), legal (a law, a decree, a treaty…), or communication-related (advocacy campaigns, videos, leaflets…).

best regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Parkinson PhD.

Dr. Jonathan Parkinson

• jonpar
    Topic Author

World Water Forum Priority for Action "Improve access to integrated sanitation"

You are indivited to submit your 'solutions' (existing or innovative) to the World Water Forum Priority for Action "Improve access to integrated sanitation services for all @ www.solutionsforwater.org.

These can be submited to one of the following targets (please note that some of the text for these targets needs updating but this won't affect the solutions that you might consider to submit) :

Target 1: By 2050 whole population/communities (every one and especially children) use and properly maintain appropriate sanitary toilets.

Target 3: By 2025, increase by 25% urban wastewater and excreta re-use in different sectors (agricultural, tourism, municipal uses, energy generation) where financially and culturally viable, and especially in water-scarce and drought-prone regions

Target 4: For 2012, clarify the scope of the internationally-recognised Human Right to Sanitation taking into account national experiences, and publish 1 document highlighting the practical implications of the Right to Sanitation for practitioners

Target 5: By 2020, at least 20 additional countries will have adopted and implemented a comprehensive strategic sanitation plan for urban, peri-urban and rural areas. The plan shall include a hierarchy of priorities for subsequent plans of actions to be implemented at national and local levels and shall cover all components of the sanitation chain

Target 6: By 2020, at least 500 additional urban, peri-urban and rural local authorities will have adopted and implemented, by involving local stakeholders, local strategy and action plans that cover all components of the sanitation chain and are in accordance with a national comprehensive strategic sanitation plan and priorities

Target 7: By 2025, regular comprehensive monitoring of appropriate wastewater treatment at national and global levels

Target 8: By 20XX improve the operator efficiency and effectiveness of wastewater and wastewater treatment methods in XX cities across a range of city sizes

Solutions must contribute to tackling a key sanitation -related issue and help reach the World Water Forum targets in any regions in the world. Solutions can be institutional (multistakeholder plans, policies, governance structures…), technical (an appropriate device, a plant, a tool, a software…), financial (levy, transfers, tariffs…), legal (a law, a decree, a treaty…), or communication-related (advocacy campaigns, videos, leaflets…).

Don't be too put off my the requirements for the submission in the templates.

For more information, contact me.

regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Parkinson PhD.

Telephone: + 44 20 300 48528
Mobile: + 44 770 220 2646
Fax: +44 20 7654 5555
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds