Webinar 3 on Innovative Sanitation Solutions for Urban Areas - SuSanA-SEI webinar with BMGF grantees in 2013

Page selection:
  • Ekane
  • Nelson Ekane (PhD)

Re: Sanitation Expert Chats (BMGF grantees) - Stockholm Environment Institute: 3rd webinar on 7 November, recording now available

Dear forum members,

Attached are instructions on how to reduce YouTube video quality to speed up playback.

Cheers,
Nelson
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Nelson Ekane (PhD)
Research Fellow
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
Mobile: +46 (0) 768722110

This message has an attachment file.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Re: Sanitation Expert Chats (BMGF grantees) - Stockholm Environment Institute: 3rd webinar on 7 November, recording now available

Hi,
thanks to all who participated (I missed it). It is worthwhile to invest the hour, especially as we tend not to look at the internet presentation but yes .. use days of travelling to get to a certain place to attend a seminar. :blink:

I would wish myself some more discussion, I found the short inputs very interesting.

An aspect which I did not see so clear up to know as a general problem. although we suffered from the same situation is… innovative concepts cannot be funded easily by governments (mentioned by Ayush Chauhan, Quicksand Design).
We had that situation in Lima wehn we proposed a dry sanitation model to the water provider SEDAPAL. The government cannot invest, if they are not sure that it solves the problem for this area for at least 15 years.

As I am a fan of dry sanitation models (not latrines), the model presented by Kory attracted me most, but… but in general the problems are all related. The main question is… how are we able to get a sustainable payment of the very poor for sanitation, to avoid system failure.

The aspect mentioned by Ayush Chauhan, Quicksand Design of a decreasing fee… the more you use, the cheaper gets the pay per use seemed very interesting to me.

The different approaches by water for people mentioned by Sherina Munyana, and especially the different experiences seemed a very valuable observation to me, not only the difference between rural and urban sanitation, but as well the differences in the “culture” between Africa, Asia and South America. Although I think in South America there is room for business models as X runner is currently experiencing in Lima, and we had the experience as well, that the people were willing to pay for their toilets. A problem is, that they developed bad habits – lots of NGO or as well government activities sending in latrines without payment, therefore the people are not willing to spend on something they could get for free (Why should they?). Therefore we put in a strong rule for our activities with a different qualtiy toilet... who does not pay part of the toilet structure, does not receive a toilet. It worked and still works out fine, but without any subsidy not possible. On the other hand, normal sanitation does not work without subsidy as well.

Just some thoughts and REALLY TAKE YOUR TIME TO ATTEND, it is worth it, it gives a lot of ideas to keep on thinking. Thanks again for organizing.

Yours
Christoph
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, tmsinnovation

• arno
    Topic Author
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Re: Sanitation Expert Chats (BMGF grantees) - Stockholm Environment Institute: 3rd Chat on 7 November

Dear all
Here is the recording of the 3rd webinar to discuss the Gates Foundation grantee projects. The topic this time was "Innovative Sanitation Solutions for Urban Areas":

Thank you to the presenters and participants! I hope you enjoy viewing it. Don't hesitate to ask any follow-up questions you may have.

The three papers given were as follows:

(1)

Video starts at at 2 min. 5s:

Communal Sanitation Solutions for Urban Slums
Ayush Chauhan, Quicksand Design, Delhi

forum.susana.org/forum/categories/97-ena...ch-orissa-india#6432

Short presentation:

(2)
Video starts at 25 min. 45s:

Catalyzing Sanitation Businesses
Sherina Munyana, Water for People, Uganda

Locations of research: Malawi, Uganda, Rwanda, India, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/97-ena...mit=12&start=12#6507

Short presentation:

(3)
Video starts at 56 min. 46 sec:

Mobile Sanitation Services for Dense Urban Slums
Kory Russel, Stanford University, Stanford, USA

Location of research: With SOIL in Haiti
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/99-fae...mit=12&start=24#6359

Short presentation:

Also participating in the discussion were the two grantees Mark Illian, Nature Healing Nature, USA and Francis de los Reyes III, NC State University (NCSU), USA. Also attending were Gerwin Janson, TU Delft, The Netherlands, and Angus McBride, Oxfam, UK.
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org

This message has attachments files.

• arno
    Topic Author
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Webinar 3 on Innovative Sanitation Solutions for Urban Areas - SuSanA-SEI webinar with BMGF grantees in 2013

3rd Expert Chat/Webinar - Gates Foundation Sanitation Grants

Date: 7 November 2013 at 17:00 - 17:45 (GMT+1)

Dear all

This is to announce that the third expert chat will be held as a recorded webinar also open to a limited number of participants. We can accommodate 5 additional people with microphone rights (will require sound checks beforehand) and the rest will be audience.

The topic this time is “Innovative Sanitation Solutions for Urban Areas”. It is the third in a series this year with the aim to discuss the BMGF research grants, in the SuSanA Forum.

The three experts discussing their grants are:

1. Ayush Chauhan (Quicksand): Communal Sanitation Solutions for Urban Slums (Institute for Financial Management and Research, Chennai, India): forum.susana.org/forum/categories/97-ena...esearch-orissa-india

2. Sherina Munyana: Catalyzing Sanitation Businesses (Water for People, Uganda),
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/97-ena...-malawi-uganda-india

3. Kory Russel: Integrated Mobile Sanitation Solutions in Peri-urban Setting (Stanford, USA)
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/99-fae...nford-university-usa

Participants for this expert chat will be selected "first come, first served".
So, if you would like to be one of the 5 miked participants or audience please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ASAP and latest Nov 4. :-)
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org
The following user(s) like this post: tmsinnovation

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds