Enhanced Anaerobic Digestion: A Sanitation and Energy Recovery Technology (San Diego State University, USA)

28.3k views

Page selection:
  • garoma
  • Topic Author

Re: Enhanced Anaerobic Digestion: A Sanitation and Energy Recovery Technology (San Diego State University, USA)

Deltef,

I will check with IWA if I could share my own copy online.

On a second check, the link you provided is not for the subject publication. It is for another article I published with IWA few years back. The correct link for the subject article is: www.iwaponline.com/washdev/up/washdev2013144.htm

Thank you,
Temesgen Garoma

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Re: Enhanced Anaerobic Digestion: A Sanitation and Energy Recovery Technology (San Diego State University, USA)

Dear Garoma,

I guess you as the Autor have tho check with IWA by your self on an open posting of YOUR PDF in open SUSANA-Forum. Probably IWA will respect Autor's wishes more them from an internet forum.

All the Best
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de, AquaVerde Ltd. Zanzibar
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• garoma
  • Topic Author

Dear Detlef,

Thank you for correcting the link.

Regarding access to the full paper, I would suggest that the forum moderator to get permission from the journal publisher so that it can be provided as an attachment.

Elisabeth,

Can you please check with IWA Publishing whether we can provided the pdf version as an attachment on this forum? The article was published in the Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development.

Thank you,

• AquaVerde

Dear Garoma,

At www.iwaponline.com/wst/06208/wst062081755.htm I can only find your doi:10.2166/wst.2010.458 with access to PDF via payment only.
No where found: "10.2166/washdev.2013.144"

May you advice.

Best Regards,
Detlef

• garoma
  • Topic Author

All,

The first publication from this project is now available online at www.iwaponline.com/washdev/up/default.htm. Please note that this is uncorrected proof file and the final version of the full paper will be available in few weeks. The doi for the article is:10.2166/washdev.2013.144

Thank you,
Temesgen Garoma

• etyeheny
  • Henock Belete Asfaw

Dear Temesgen Garoma,

Thank you for your explanantion and attachment.
Wish you best luck in the developments of your research.

Best regards, Henock
Henock Belete Asfaw
MSc in Sanitary Engineering
Medewerker Projects, waterschap Hollandse Delta

Postadres: Postbus 4103, 2980 GC Ridderkerk
Bezoekadres: Handelsweg 100, 2988 DC Ridderkerk

telefoon: 088 - 97 (43484)
mobile: 0620645501
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• abruu

Dear Dr Temesgen Garoma,
This is Abrham Abebe Balcha , from Wollega University department of Environmental science hope you remember me with Dr Temsgene. I am happy again to see your research in SuSanA forum.Hope we work together in phase II(field test) of your research project.

• AquaVerde

Dear Garoma,
Thanks for clarification.
All the Best
Detlef

• garoma
  • Topic Author

Dear Detlef ,

Thank you for your input. Please note that the schematic diagram attached in response to Henock’s questions has nothing to do with the ModAD process. The processes described in the schematic diagram are mainly for the US market or other developed countries.

In addition, I would like to clarify that the ModAD process is not intended for the treatment of TWAS. In the current research, we used TWAS as a representative ‘human waste’ and Chlorella vulgaris as representative algae for a proof-of-concept purpose only. Please also note that the current research involved bench-scale test in lab setting. For the next phase of the research, we plan to field test the process using actual human waste and different species of algae and/or other supplementary feedstock. We envision that the ModAD technology can be used to collect, contain, and treat waste in the same reactor, making it suitable for rural and urban communities with no sewer connections.

Thank you,

• AquaVerde

Dear Mr. Garoma,

Thanks for sharing your schematic sketch. It seams to me the planned AD-system is connected to an activated sludge waste-water treatment plant and receives mainly primary sludge from settler and excess sludge from aerobic plant. Supplementary feeding AD by harvested algae. Is this correct?

Sorry at your lab-scale and system in combination with TWAS modified for ModAD for high rising buildings in big cities I can follow you most, but if used for ModAD for Rural Communities with purposed simplicity in design, I can not. Let aside the energy demand of any activated sludge plant, maybe I do not understand purposed simplicity, whole system and presentation correctly?

All the Best

Detlef SCHWAGER

• garoma
  • Topic Author

Dear Henock,

Thank for your questions. The goal of the research is to develop a modified anaerobic digestion (ModAD) process using algal biomass as supplementary feedstock and recover resources – biogas as a fuel for energy and biosolids as fertilizer. The recovery of these resources, biosolids and biogas, provide additional incentives for a community to adopt and sustain this technology. So, please note that the use algal biomass is not intended to mitigate eutrophication of lakes or rivers.

As you suggested the algae growth can be integrated with wastewater treatment, where the effluent from the wastewater can be used as sources of water and nutrient. In fact, we are working on the same concept in my lab, see the schematic representation attached.

Thank you,

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• garoma
  • Topic Author

Dear Detlef,

Thank you for sharing with us the information on an anaerobic baffled reactor (ABR). As you may know, ABR is an improved septic tank, and it is generally used for treatment of wastewater after primary settling. The pre-treatment requirement, primary settling, implies that the ABR technology is more suitable for centralized wastewater treatment systems. However, the technology can also be adapted at household level or for a small community. Some of the limitations of the technology for adaptation in developing countries: it requires constant source of water, it requires waste pre-treatment, and it requires expert design and construction.

Refer to the following link for an excellent review of the process.

www.sswm.info/category/implementation-to...tewater-treatments-8

Thank you,

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds