Co-fermentation of fecal sludge with organic waste for energy production in Nashik (India) through viable Business Model

Page selection:
  • jeetenyadav492
    Topic Author
  • Environment professional working as Technical Expert in GIZ, New Delhi (India)

Re: Waste to Energy article in GIZ Sustainable Sanitation newsletter, Issue no. #51, March 2018

Note by moderator (EvM): The following piece recently appeared in the GIZ Sustainable Sanitation newsletter, Issue no. #51, March 2018. We have copied it here so that it can receive comments and feedback:

++++++++++

India
Waste is no more waste – Inauguration of Waste to Energy biogas plant in Nashik

The Minister for Water Resources and Medical Education, Govt. of Maharashtra Mr. Girish Mahajan, inaugurated Nashik’s innovative Waste to Energy plant in the end of November 2017. The construction of the plant was supported by the “Waste to Energy” Project funded by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the (BMUB), with the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) as Indian collaboration partners. The joint project of Nashik Municipal Corporation and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH showcases a viable business model for implementation of waste to energy projects through the PPP. The Project is implemented through technical and financial support from GIZ to Nashik Municipal Corporation. Presently project is in commissioning phase.

Having a total capacity up to 30 tons of organic input per day, it will consume between 10 to 15 tons of organic waste and 10 to 20 tons of black water each day (in the ratio of 1:2). The anaerobic system can yield about 2,500 cubic meters of biogas each day under full load, with which it expects to generate power of minimum 3,300 kWh on a daily basis. The connected combined heat and power (CHP) units not only produces electricity which will be fed into the Maharashtra power grid.

The private contractor guaranteed daily supply of 3300 kWh electricity to Nashik Municipal Corporation with the power for internal use already deducted. Generated electricity will be fed into Maharashtra State Power Grid and then used by Nashik Municipal Corporation. Nutrients will be recovered through the agricultural use of manure produced from digested slurry/sludge. Alternatively digested slurry would be also used for accelerating the aerobic composting process in the adjacent MSWM facility

The project showcases a viable business model for implementation of waste to energy projects through a Public Private Partnership. Subsequent to the inauguration, a joint workshop was also organized with various stakeholders and partners for discussion on upscaling possibilities and challenges in implementation of Waste to Energy projects in India.

Regards,
Jitendra
Jitendra Yadav,
Technical Expert - Sanitation & Waste to Energy
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH,
New Delhi, India
The following user(s) like this post: FranziskaVolk, rahulsharma

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Co-fermentation of FS with organic waste for energy production in Nashik (India) through viable Business Model

Dear Jitendra,

Thanks for telling us about your presentation on "Co-fermentation of Faecal Sludge with Organic Waste for Energy Production in Nashik, India: Closing the Materials Loop". I really liked your slides which are very clear.

I see that that video of your presentation is now also available here (makre sure you jump to 46m10s in the video:
This should be the direct link to the right time:

Are there already other waste to energy projects in India, which are not supported by this initiative from Germany targeting climate protection projects? (your project is "A Project under the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of BMUB")

Can such projects really take off without any subsidies or suitable government support?

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. How would you rate the existing Wikipedia page on Waste-to-Energy plants? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste-to-energy
I noticed that it does not mention sewage sludge (or fecal sludge), perhaps this should be added?
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• jeetenyadav492
    Topic Author
  • Environment professional working as Technical Expert in GIZ, New Delhi (India)

Co-fermentation of FS with organic waste for energy production in Nashik (India) through viable Business Model

Dear SuSanA members,
Greetings from New Delhi, India...

I am Jitendra, an Enviromental professional currently working with GIZ India.

My current assignment include implementation of Waste to Energy project in Nashik under the International Climate Initiative of Govt. of Germany. I have been associated with this project since its conceptual stage including conducting feasibility studies, DPR preparation, tendering for the project. Currently I am supporting Nashik Municipal Corporation for the implementation of the project on ground.

I had the opportunity to present our work titled "Co-fermentation of Faecal Sludge with Organic Waste for Energy Production in Nashik, India: Closing the Materials Loop" at FSM3, 3rd International Faecal Sludge Management Conference, Hanoi.

During the conference, I gave an overview of the project, which involves co-fermentation of organic municipal solid waste and faecal sludge through economically viable business model. The concept is developed by HAMBURG WATER Cycle®, in which addition of faecal sludge in digester helps in increasing gas production and digestion process ensures scientific treatment of faecal sludge and solid waste which is lacking in Indian urban context.

This project is an attempt to showcase a viable business model for implementation of waste to energy projects through Public Private Partnerships (PPP) in India and is built on a comprehensive financial and operational model. Such projects can be implemented through a PPP mode without any external aid / grant if designed as per the suggested business model.

Current status of the project: Initial construction stage and likely to be completed by February, 2016.

Best greetings.
Jitendra Yadav
Jitendra Yadav,
Technical Expert - Sanitation & Waste to Energy
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH,
New Delhi, India

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, rahulsharma

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds