Foreign Direct Investment & Aid funding in development sector

• npopat
    Topic Author

Foreign Direct Investment & Aid funding in development sector

To development sector professionals,

a.How different is FDI & Aid funds (multi/ bilateral)?
b. Aid funds are project specific and do act as catalysts in developing economies, can they be considered as form of FDI?

Consultant-WASH
NIUA
You need to login to reply
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Foreign Direct Investment & Aid funding in development sector

Dear Nikita,

I always try to ensure everyone gets an answer here on the forum. In general, I think you'll get more answers if you flesh out your question a bit more. What are your own thoughts on this matter and why do you ask?

There is a good Wikipedia article about Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) which can act as a starting point:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_direct_investment
The first sentence says

"A foreign direct investment (FDI) is an investment in the form of a controlling ownership in a business in one country by an entity based in another country."

Then there is the article on aid: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aid

In international relations, aid (also known as international aid, overseas aid, foreign aid or foreign assistance) is – from the perspective of governments – a voluntary transfer of resources from one country to another.

So I think aid is not included in FDI. But I am no expert on this. Please tell us more.

Regards,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum via SEI project ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds