Problem based marketing/sales approach to sanitation

Page selection:
  • edna
    Topic Author

Re: Problem based marketing/sales approach to sanitation

Hi All,

am back once again to share the definition of Problem led marketing approach (PLMA).

PLMA refers to Marketing activities triggered by the needs of the customer and market that has been targeted. The product or solution offered is anchored with responses offered by the market or The application of the best social and commercial marketing practices to change behaviour and to scale up the demand and supply for improved sanitation, particularly among the poor.
Activities depicting the consequences of not having a good toilet and the effects of poor sanitation on the environment or on their lives will then be the problem based marketing approaches.

Advantage of the approach
It triggers more results and impact while Product based marketing approaches compliments.
how the approach can be employed in sanitation context_according to WRP

1. Problem –
- Goal: generate concern
- Let people express their challenges, rather than telling them what their challenges are. People don’t like being told about their challenges.
2. Cost –
- Goal: create a sense of urgency
- Direct and indirect costing of the aforementioned challenges.
3. Solution –
- Goal: show how a product addresses the person’s challenges
4. Value –
- Demonstrate how much money the product helps save.

Thanks, i hope it will help ans steer more discussion in the forum
Young water professional with developed interest on strategic sanitation planning and service provision and innovation systems in developing countries.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi,

The term "Problem based marketing/sales approach" is new to me. Can someone explain it to me? I know the term "problem based learning" but not "problem based marketing".

Hi Dani,
In the abstract of your paper you wrote "We identified two common practices in SMIs that can reduce well-being and widen well-being inequalities; namely, the promotion of conspicuous consumption and assaults on dignity"

What is "the promotion of conspicuous consumption"? And with assults on dignity are you referring to some of the CLTS approaches that have gone wrong?

By the way, I wish we had a Wikipedia article on "sanitation marketing". Anyone out there who would be willing to help me set one up? The closest we have is "social marketing": en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_marketing

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• DaniBarrington
  • Lecturer in Global Health

Hi Edna,

Although the paper itself might not be that useful, we did a systematic review last year of sanitation marketing interventions, so the list of different projects/bibliography might be useful:

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S027795361730638X

The paper isn't open access though (we couldn't afford it :-(), so if it looks useful then send me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will send you a copy :-)
Dani Barrington, PhD, BE (Hons), BSc

Lecturer in Global Health
The University of Western Australia

• edna
    Topic Author

Thanks Rochelleholm, I Will surely delve into this
Young water professional with developed interest on strategic sanitation planning and service provision and innovation systems in developing countries.

• rochelleholm

Hi Edna,
For rural sanitation marketing work in Malawi to address problem led selling/marketing based approach to sanitation (need for low-cost latrine design using all local materials) checkout these two papers:

Holm, R., Tembo, M., Njera, D., Kasulo, V., Malota, M., Chipeta, W., Singini, W. and Mchenga, J. Adopters and non-adopters of low-cost household latrines: A study of corbelled pit latrines in 15 districts of Malawi. Sustainability, 2016, 8, 917. DOI:10.3390/su8100917 www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/8/10/917/htm

Kasulo, V., Holm, R., Tembo, M., Singini, W. and Mchenga, J. Enhancing sustainable sanitation through capacity building and rural sanitation marketing in Malawi. Environment Development and Sustainability, 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s10668-018-0191-2 rdcu.be/VcJZ
Rochelle Holm, Ph.D., PMP
Mzuzu (Malawi)

• edna
    Topic Author

Problem based marketing/sales approach to sanitation

Hi Everyone,
I am interested in getting more insights and experiences on problem led selling/marketing based approach to sanitation. And maybe how it directly impacts peoples willingness to buy. Kindly if you have any documentation or insights or marketing scripts used adopted before to share? I am interested in investigating that on a future willingness-to-pay research project.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds