New article: Life-cycle costs of a resource-oriented sanitation system and implications for advancing a circular economy approach to sanitation

26.9k views

Page selection:
  • csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Re: New article: Life-cycle costs of a resource-oriented sanitation system and implications for advancing a circular economy approach to sanitation

Great to see that. Maybe we could have discussion in the future. we also work on the similar topics. 

Kind regards

Cheng
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • ncarrard
    Topic Author
  • I am an applied researcher at the Institute for Sustainable Futures - University of Technology Sydney. My research interests and expertise include the WASH-gender nexus, the human rights to water and sanitation and how the WASH sector grapples with big picture sustainability questions. I work with partners in the Asia-Pacific region .

Re: New article: Life-cycle costs of a resource-oriented sanitation system and implications for advancing a circular economy approach to sanitation

Thanks for your interest Esther, I've just emailed it to you 
Naomi Carrard
Researcher
Institute for Sustainable Futures
University of Technology Sydney

• Esthervl
  • Implementation special at SEMiLLA Sanitation whom develop and implement sustainable closed loop water and sanitation concepts based on space in developing countries, separating different water streams and recovering important resources.

Dear Naomi,

I would love to read the entire article, could you please send this to me? My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Kind regards,

Esther

• ncarrard
    Topic Author
  • I am an applied researcher at the Institute for Sustainable Futures - University of Technology Sydney. My research interests and expertise include the WASH-gender nexus, the human rights to water and sanitation and how the WASH sector grapples with big picture sustainability questions. I work with partners in the Asia-Pacific region .

New article: Life-cycle costs of a resource-oriented sanitation system and implications for advancing a circular economy approach to sanitation

Dear all,

I’m pleased to share a new paper detailing the life-cycle costs of a resource-oriented sanitation system in urban Sri Lanka. The sanitation system has been operating for more than a decade. The system is based on onsite containment, transfer by truck and passive treatment at an FSTP. Dried sludge is mixed with the organic fraction of municipal waste to make co-compost, which is then pelletized for sale. The study looks at costs over the system life-cycle, who pays, and also provides a detailed analysis of the reuse phase costs. The article discusses how findings can inform a circular economy approach to sanitation. Please get in touch if you need access to the full paper, it is behind a paywall but I am able to share individually. 

Life-cycle costs of a resource-oriented sanitation system and implications for advancing a circular economy approach to sanitation

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652621013548

Abstract:

Implementing a circular economy approach to sanitation requires knowledge of the costs to construct, operate and maintain resource-oriented systems. Yet the dearth of data on costs of urban sanitation in general, and resource-oriented systems in particular, limit opportunities to progress sustainable sanitation in low- and middle-income countries. This paper contributes empirical data on the life-cycle costs of a resource-oriented sanitation system in urban Sri Lanka, addressing a gap in evidence about how much it costs, and who pays, for a system that integrates fecal sludge management with nutrient capture and reuse. Costs across the system life-cycle were analyzed according to: (i) cost type; (ii) phases of the sanitation chain; and (iii) distribution between actors. Over a 25-year lifespan, the system had an annualized cost of USD 2.8/person or USD 11/m3 of septage treated. Revenue from co-compost sales covered reuse-related costs plus 8% of present value costs for other phases of the sanitation chain. Findings affirm both the potential for resource-oriented sanitation to generate revenue, and the need for substantial complementary investment in the overall system. The system was found to be reliant on household investment, yet financially viable from the service provider perspective with revenue from desludging services (89%) and co-compost sales (11%) that exceeded costs over the system lifespan and in most years. The analysis of total costs, financial perspectives, and reuse specifics contributes critical evidence to inform policy and planning that supports a purposeful and equitable transition towards circular economy approaches to sanitation. 
Naomi Carrard
Researcher
Institute for Sustainable Futures
University of Technology Sydney
The following user(s) like this post: paulvillegas, Heiner

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds