Deactivation mechanisms in UDDT's

• birteraes
    Topic Author

Deactivation mechanisms in UDDT's

Dear all,

I am performing a short qualitative study on the reuse of dried fecal material of UDDT's in Uganda. For this study I investigated some samples on their bacteriological and chemical properties. This study was only preliminary and too small to be of any scientific value. However, it raised some question marks which I would like to address.

I noticed there is a very fast inactivation of for example E. Coli and Salmonella. I followed the posts on this forum on UDDT's but they mainly talk about temperatures needed for inactivation. The temperature in the sampled toilets was not extremely high (25°C - 35°C). In my opinion the very fast inactivation is due to the high pH (9-10) and the low moisture content (mostly <20%). I did not found much literature on the effect of these parameters on the breakdown of several pathogens. The most relevant documents I found up to know are the work of Faechem (1983) and the Guidelines from WHO on the reuse of excreta (2006), but these documents as well contain only little information regarding moisture and pH.

I would like to hear some opinions of people with more experience in this field on the possibility of pH and moisture content as deactivation mechanisms. Moreover it would be nice to find some more literature about it, mainly on the influence of these parameters on the deactivation of helminth eggs (Ascaris).

Thank you!
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.468 seconds