Pause before pushing more people to ODF - Indians: Save Your Country — Please Do NOT Use That Toilet

• satyagrahi
    Topic Author

Re: Pause before pushing more people to ODF

Hi Bracken,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your thoughtful comment.

The rush to build has created a large number of unusable toilets (negligible numbers are non-flush) and OD is the safer option. In fact, it is going to happen anyway as water shortages loom and an inability to clean these cheap toilets make them horrible.

There is no transparency in the numbers and the speed at which the financing has passed is far greater than the capacity to build toilets of any quality.

Shanti,
Rajesh
The following user(s) like this post: Lincoln
You need to login to reply
  • satyagrahi
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth,

Sorry for the delay in accepting your call to continue the discussion (i was in silence for a month).

Thank you for observation: "Bad sanitation can be worse than no sanitation". We are agreed on rural - OD with some followup (covering with ash, keeping sanitation areas to restrict contact, ...) is far better than badly engineered and executed toilets.

You lead to a new area - urban (or peri-urban) and i have some ideas but they are better shared in person. I am closely watching the urban landscape in India as untreated sewage by the billions of tons finds its way into every water body in the country. There are almost no public places left for people to walk, to keep their windows open, ... Mosquitos have become the rulers and people have to cram themselves into smaller spaces with walls and nets and fans and, for the rich, a/cs and air purifiers, to keep the smells and insects out.

Shanti,
Rajesh
  • satyagrahi
    Topic Author

Dear All,

Sharing with you an email sent to me by Indukanth Ragade, author Self Reliance in Water :

I am in total agreement with you on the subject.

Defecation on water is the most lop-sided system for dealing with faecal matter in our country. Water does not do a single positive thing the treatment of faecal matter and it gets itself poisoned in the process! Our forefathers in their wisdom have stated in the Vedas that one should neither urinate nor defecate on water as it is one of the Pancha Bhootaas. Our practice of defecating on soil is the wisest thing as soil is the best treatment unit for excreta. The only relevant objection to it is the ‘lack of privacy’.

In the eco-san toilet, this is taken care of. The SBM is a colossal waste of precious money. The TV ad on the great benefits of the twin- pit latrine is a highly cosmetised one that masks all the negative aspects, because of the use of a celebrity like Akshay Kumar! SCOPE, the N.G.O. in Trichy had been propagating the eco-san toilet in villages and Mr. S, who is running it, had been even invited by the Chinese Govt. to advise them on the method. But he found that there is not much support for this method and he has now switched over to constructing the pit latrines under the Swach Bharart Scheme!

Even if a proper pit latrine is built under the scheme, when the time comes for emptying the composted faecal matter from one of the pits, there will be hesitation as one has to get into the pit to remove the composted material. I feel that this is where the scheme will stumble and crumble. In the case of the eco-san toilet, one can remove the compost standing outside the drum. Such a pity that a great opportunity to bring about a sanitary revolution in our villages has been lost.
The following user(s) like this post: HarryTams
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Rajesh,

You wrote: "You lead to a new area - urban (or peri-urban) and i have some ideas but they are better shared in person." Why don't you want to put your ideas here on the forum? What benefit would there be to sharing your ideas only with me "in person" rather than sharing them with lots of people online here?

In the e-mail that you copied above, the author (a male person?) said: "The only relevant objection to it is the ‘lack of privacy’.". Well that is a very real concern, especially (or only?) for woman, isn't it?! So how would that be overcome if you propagate open defecation on soil in villages and towns that are getting more and more populated and crowded? Also can you point to any success stories where villagers have changed their behaviours and are now digging small holes and covering their faeces with soil after each defecation event (the "cat method")? If that was possible it would be good, although in crowded conditions the next user may by mistake uncover the fresh faeces of someone else when they do their own little hole.

I agree in principle that "shitting into water" is a stupid idea whereas "shitting onto soil" is in theory better. But how to make it work in a more and more crowded world is the question. We are running out of space and soil for everyone to shit on soil... The ecosan toilets (UDDTs) which many of us like & favour in theory have sadly not been able to convince enough users or government officials, at least not in India, or so it seems.

I think once the pits of the twin pits are full, perhaps there will be a second push for a more mechanised way of emptying the pits, using proper equipment, pumps, hoses, gloves, masks etc. and proper faecal sludge management and treatment. At least one would hope so. The huge number of new publications on faecal sludge management (FSM) coming out of India indicate that this is happening (see here on the forum: forum.susana.org/53-faecal-sludge-management So it's not all doom and gloom, or is it?

(and I agree with the excellent points made by Patrick Bracken above, which you haven't addressed yet)

Regards,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum
(Funded via GIZ short term consultancy contract)

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Senior Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions, Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Environment Consultant located at Chennai, India

Re: Pause, suggest opt for COD , before pushing more people to ODF

Dear SuSanA Members.

In my earlier post Dtd. 5th July,2019 had suggested a revised mode of ODF ie COD. Controlled Open Defecation.

In this the people get some time before toilets be it be CTCs or individual tiolets are organised with other infrastructure Etc..

Here too, village admins have to ensure it is maintained clean and hygenically in order and spaces alternated and maintained. Night soil taken up on co composting path for re use in agri farms Etc..

Well wishes.

Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Senior Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Environment Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others) Chennai, India
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.512 seconds