Launch of the Sanitation Workers Knowledge and Learning Hub (22 August 2022)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Launch of the Sanitation Workers Knowledge and Learning Hub (22 August 2022)

I've explored the Sanitation Workers website a bit today and have some questions and comments for the people behind it. With this post I also want to encourage everyone else to provide their observations. Please have a look here:  sanitationworkers.susana.org/

I'll start in this post with some comments about the resource library  (my two posts later in the week will discuss other parts of the website, like the blog section).

Overall, I am finding the library page and the filters very intuitive and easy to use. It looks prettier and more modern than the SuSanA library. 

My suggestions:
  1. I like how the resource library of the sanitation workers website is interlinked with the SuSanA library . All documents in the library of the sanitation workers site are also in the SuSanA library. However, I feel that a better link could be make from the
    SuSanA library back to the SW library. Perhaps the SuSanA library should have a new filter for “sanitation workers content”? So far, the only related filter is "by sanitation treatment technology and faecal sludge treatment processes".
  2. I think it would be useful to have a counter for the documents in the library, showing the total number and then also the number of documents when a filter is applied. This could be done in a similar way to how it's done in the SuSanA library. 
  3. There is no search button for the library? We spent a long time working out a good search button system for the SuSanA library. Perhaps you could piggy back on that technology?
The library can be filtered by the following type of resources:
  • Presentations
  • Factsheets and policy briefs
  • Guidelines and manuals
  • Posters, brochures and flyers
  • Videos and webinar recordings
  • Case studies
  • Audio and Podcast
  • Research publications
My suggestion: maybe put this in alphabetical order?.

The region filter looks like this :
  • Europe, Caucasus & Central Asia
  • Latin America & Caribbean
  • Middle East & Northern Africa 
  • North America
  • Sub-Saharan Africa
  • Other
  • East Asia Pacific
  • South Asia
My questions: What is the order for these? Make it alphabetic? Move “other” to the end?

Also, there are very few publications for any of the regions other than South Asia. Most of them are from India. What is your plan to populate also the other regions, or is this beyond the scope of this project? I would actually find it very interesting to see some publications about sanitation workers in high-income countries. One could compare similarities and differences. E.g. the work would be mostly mechanised and there would be hardly any informal labour in the high income country. But low prestige of the job would apply as well and perhaps can never be removed completely.

The filter for themes looks like this:
  • Good practices
  • Dignity
  • Legal and regulatory frameworks
  • Health & Safety
  • Financial security, alternative livelihoods
  • Social security
 My comment: “Good practices” is not a theme but it’s a type of resource, e.g. case studies or guidelines and manuals?

The language filter includes:
  • English
  • German
  • French
  • Spanish
  • Chinese
  • Arabic
 My questions: What’s the order of these languages? Add “other” button? And is there nothing in Hindi yet, despite all the documents about India?

Then there is also this filter: Setting or users
  • Rural
  • Urban (entire city)
  • Peri-urban
  • Schools
  • Urban informal settlements (slums)
  • Camps (emergency or longer term)

I would create tabs for the last two filters as well – currently they’re hidden behind a button that indicates “menu” (three
horizontal lines). Unless it's because you ran out of space for the mobile version?

I am looking forward to some feedback and discussion about this new website/platform.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Launch of the Sanitation Workers Knowledge and Learning Hub (22 August 2022)

The Sanitation Workers Knowledge and Learning Hub is now available here on their new website: sanitationworkers.susana.org/#
It has a focus on sanitation workers' rights.

This new hub stems from the Initiative for Sanitation Workers projects undertaken by WaterAid, ILO, WHO, SNV, and the World Bank with support from BMGF.

You can view the "speech launch" with the 32nd SuSanA meeting on 22 Aug 22 of this new website here, presented by Kanika Singh (WaterAid & Initiative for Sanitation Workers) - fast forward to time 40:41 in the recording: 

Or jump straight to 40:41 in the recording with this link .

What do you all think of this new knowledge and learning hub?

Regards, 
Elisabeth

(I'm currently supporting the SuSanA secretariat in the area of anchoring sanitation workers topic on the Forum)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka, secretariat, Chaiwe

• secretariat
    Topic Author
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Launch of the Sanitation Workers Knowledge and Learning Hub

A new platform to learn and share knowledge around the topic of Sanitation Workers!!

Sanitation workers are involved in several steps of the faecal waste management chain, including emptying of pits and septic tanks; cleaning toilets, sewers, and manholes; and operating pumping stations and treatment plants. They provide a fundamental public service, yet often face extreme health hazards and safety risks on the job, as well as social discrimination and stigma. 

The Initiative for Sanitation Workers projects undertaken by different partners (WaterAid, ILO, WHO, SNV, and the World Bank with support from the BMGF) collaborated with SuSanA to developp the Sanitation Workers Knowledge and Learning Hub aiming at disseminating and exchanging resources and information related to sanitation workers. It comprises a library of publications, research, reports and other resources, forum posts, events, a photo library as well as opinion columns on sanitation workers. 

Do not miss the speed launch of the Sanitation Workers Knowledge and Learning Hub during the 32nd SuSanA Meeting on Monday 22nd August (prior to the World Water Week 2022). More information about the event (agenda, registration, etc.) can be found here

See you there

Alexandra
on behalf of the SuSanA secretariat

Attachment not found

Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds