Fecal Sludge & Waste Water Impact on Marine Environments

15.4k views

Page selection:
  • Awenger

Re: Fecal Sludge & Waste Water Impact on Marine Environments

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but I came upon it and I thought I would share some relevant information. I am leading a working group of scientists, practitioners, technical experts, and development partners in the fields of sanitation, engineering, water quality, and marine conservation ( snappartnership.net/teams/improving-coastal-health/ ). Our work is part of a broader coalition to improve collaboration across the water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) and conservation sectors to better achieve public and ecosystem health outcomes. Please visit The Ocean Sewage Alliance website for more information.

We have just launched a needs assessment survey to identify current barriers to collaboration between the marine conservation and sanitation sectors and to hear your ideas on the resources you need to help you implement ocean-friendly sanitation interventions and reduce wastewater pollution entering marine environments.

I encourage you to fill it out!

www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZZ5ZXK7

Regards,

Amelia
The following user(s) like this post: paresh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • awhitesell
    Topic Author
  • Developer of WASH technology

Hi  Maximilian,

Thanks for giving the documents a home.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Whitesell
President/Founder of Beaumont

• awhitesell
    Topic Author

Hi Alex,

Thank you for making the connection to ZMT and Marie. I will reach out to her.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Whitesell

• AlexWolf
  • Project Management WASH BORDA.org

Dear Andrew,

I'd link to link you with ZMT (Center for Marine Sciences, Bremen, Germany). Their interdisciplinary approach (ecological, economical and social science) is helpful in connecting the different sectors by on the ground research.

Specifically at least 1 PhD fellow Marie Fujitani (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) is currently investigating the impact of untreated wastewater for the tourism sector (Eastern Africa/Tansania, Indonesia).
Feel free to contact her directly.

Kind regards,
Alex

• annetempel
  • I work for GIZ's sustainable sanitation programme

Dear all,
in February 2020, the SuSanA WG4&WG6 convened during the AfWA conference in Kampala (the meeting documentation is available here .
One of the topics, we discussed during the meetings was the Source-to-Sea approach, which is currently piloted by SIWI in Ethiopia and Vietnam (more information about the project here ).
The Source-to-Sea approach is a governance paradigm, across geographical borders, that fosters cross-sectoral cooperation and takes into consideration the various interlinkages that exists between the land systems and the open sea. At first sight, the approach focuses on reducing the pollution of the ocean with solid waste / plastic waste, but it can be also useful in addressing problems arising from improper management of wastewater and sanitation.  
The GIZ sustainable sanitation programme, has been taking a closer look at the source-to-sea approach from a wastewater and sanitation perspective, and drafted a short discussion paper on this topic.
Some parts of it have been presented at the WG4/WG6 meeting in Kampala and I am pleased to share the whole paper with you.
Any feedback regarding the paper is warmly welcome, as well as your experiences in preventing wastewater and faecal sludge entering the oceans and any other ideas on the topic.

Special thanks to Andrew Whitesell for having started this discussion and sharing various resources on the topic. You are cited in the attached discussion paper.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Best regards,
Anne
GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Division for Climate Change, Environment & Infrastructure

This message has an attachment file.

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear Andrew,

thank you again for sharing these reports. They can be found in the SuSanA library now.

Ocean Health Index 2018: Methods: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3725

How to Sustainably Feed 10 Billion People by 2050, in 21 Charts: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3726

Battling a Common Enemy: Joining Forces in the Fight against Sewage Pollution: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3727

Missing the boat: Critical threats to coral reefs are neglected at global scale: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3728

Sewage pollution: mitigation is key for coral reef stewardship: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3729

Best regards,
Maximilian
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• annetempel
  • I work for GIZ's sustainable sanitation programme

Dear Andrew,
thank you so much for sharing those valuable reports! They provide an excellent overview about this topic.
I think they also deserve to be uploaded on the SuSanA library and I will coordinate with the SuSanA Secretariat to do so.

Best regards,
Anne
GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Division for Climate Change, Environment & Infrastructure

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear Andrew,
Many thanks for your mail, greatly appreciate,

Currently the data is being used for creating awareness to our Graduate students in their final year studies,
1. on impact on coral reef and data on Ocean Health and associated assets due to pollutants viz. sewage along coast at depths 15 to 20m.
2. accumulation of plastic debries along coast and at deeper seas eg . Plastic patches and their existence near Indian coast
Will keep you informed, on details Etc.

Well wishes and thanks
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• awhitesell
    Topic Author

Hello Ajit,

When do you expect to publish your report? I look forward to reading it.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Whitesell
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear A Whitesell .
Many thanks for sharing data on 5 pdf
data especially on impact on coral reef and
data on Ocean Health.

We are collecting data and doing study on merits of sewage discharge on coasts and effects on corals and fish diversity at shallow depths 15 to 20m.
And accumulation of plastic debries along coast and at deeper seas.

Well wishes
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• awhitesell
    Topic Author

Hi Anne,

Attached are 5 pdfs I chose to share based on them being less likely to show up in FSM circles and because I think they are interesting.

AW
Andrew Whitesell

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• AjitSeshadri

Dear awhitesell
It appears in principle and practice, mariners at sea sailing in ships are more organised in managing- wastes ie solids, liquids and gases too.
Marine Industries that use the sea as a sink are varied, to name some as below:
Shipping, fishing and fish factory shps, oil/ gas/ mineral exploration, cruise shps, others.
All of them are guided by IMO Rules and to the extent personnel on board to are trained and periodically re skilled.
Even to the extent when there are events leading to pollution and effects, adequate safe guards are progressed..
Well wishes.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds