Sanitation Product Development for Sub-Saharan Africa - affordable, aspirational latrine products, SaTo (American Standard Brands, USA and Water for People)

29.8k views

Page selection:
  • Alfonso
  • WASH technical advisor at ONGAWA

Re: Sanitation Product Development for Sub-Saharan Africa - affordable, aspirational latrine products, SaTo (American Standard Brands, USA and Water for People)

Ok Arjen. Thank you.

I also take advantage to update Jim: The contact has been very successful. Thank you very much for your support on this issue. We will keep in touch.

Best regards,

Alfonso

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Arjen
  • Passionate about WASH, hydrogeology and mapping

Re: Sanitation Product Development for Sub-Saharan Africa - affordable, aspirational latrine products, SaTo (American Standard Brands, USA and Water for People)

Dear all,

I have been looking for a location to discuss the technical and share practical experiences of the SatoPan. I felt that this topic thread is a bit broader and therefore I have opened a new topic, click here:
" Practical and technical questions on use and installation of SaTo pan ".

I hope you will be able to contribute to that thread as well!

thank you,

Arjen Naafs
Regional Technical Advisor WaterAir South Asia
Arjen Naafs
Regional Technical Advisor South Asia
WaterAid

+44 (0) 207 793 4521
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• mandefro

dear
it is nice to see affordable sanitation system for sub-Saharan Africa where sanitation problem is relatively high!i just want to introduce the sanitation product to my community in Addis Abeba,Ethiopia,can i get more information on this!

• Alfonso

Dear Jim,

Thank very much for your attention and for the information.

I will keep you updated.

Alfonso

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

For those following this thread on SaTo pan, I also wanted to highlight that Sherina's company in Uganda has also used them successfully, see here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/87-new...tion-of-susana#13251

Sherina said in that thread:

The SaTo pan has proven to be a really popular product for latrine improvement - both in terms of affordability and the benefits of making a latrine more hygienic, free from flies and safe for children. Since October 2014, SSG has sold over 2700 pans. SSG is identifying strategic partners through whom to distribute the pans both in the rural and urban areas which will help to achieve wider scale and impact.

More information about all our products and services can be found on our website www.sanitationsolutionsgroup.com

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: smunyana, gdrum01

• ben
  • Water and sanitation engineer

Hi Jim, Hi everyone,

Thanks for sending me a sample to bring in Mauritania for my mission there trying to shape a sanitation marketing program in the desert. Hard job with population very poor, hard soil, small civil society, etc ... amongst other difficulties.

Almost none of the CLTS latrine that I saw were "improved". The heat makes them pretty odorless and there's almost no flies by 48°C. There's never a roof on the latrines so the VIP system couldn't work properly. No-one understood the need to close the hole with something and put some mesh on the ventilation pipe. The siphon is too expensive and for the cases I saw, either it was evaporated (less than 4 hours they mentioned) or people were unhappy because it consumes too much water.
The problems all come during the rainy season (August - October) when flies appear in mass and diarrhoea too.

Basically, they loved it in the field and there's a great potential in the sahel region but still in the program this seems complicated to organise all the logistic or spreding the Sato Pan in the desert.

Another question that I wanted to ask you on this forum so everyone could benefit the answer. Because there's no roof the pan would be exposed to high UV aggression, was there any test realised on the resistance of the SaTo Pan to UV ?

Thanks,

Ben

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi Jim and everyone,

It would be good to include this into a solid, lightweight, recycled-plastic outhouse to be used as an ArborLoo (over one shallow pit, then another, then planting trees). I even suggest building with no roof, as this would reduce cost, weight and smells, plus each rain would wash the floor and all surfaces, next the sun would help to sterilize them. (And the plastic could likely be protected from the UV somehow.)

It is also key to only promote this model where the soil is absorbant, the water table is low, and there is no flooding. In those conditions, it would be better to buiid UDDTs raised above the high water line.

Best wishes.
Chris

PS: I have been silent lately, as I have been translating the Faecal Sludge Management book (www.unesco-ihe.org/faecal-sludge-management-0) into Spanish. (¿Hay hispanos que quisieran ayudar a revisar mi traducción o asignar esto a sus alumnos? Sería una forma de leerlo antes de que salga oficialmente ... y contribuir a que esta información esté presentada a América Latina y España de la mejor manera. Podrían ser unos capítulos sueltos, pero mejor todo el libro de una, tal vez asignando un capítulo a cada alumno en una clase universitaria, para que haga un resumen y, de paso, vea cualquier falla o concepto que es difícil de entender. Me podrían escribir por interno mediante el botón debajo de me foto a la izquierda. Gracias.)
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• mchalej
  • Topic Author

Alfonso,

You can contact Cresstanks at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to request samples.

Feel free to e-mail me directly at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have trouble connecting with the right people.

Jim
The following user(s) like this post: Alfonso

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

This recent blog-post has some pictures of the modified versions:
blog.americanstandard-us.com/2015/04/15/...-sub-saharan-africa/

• fausto
  • Circular Systems Designer

Thanks for sharing Jim.

Looking forward to seeing the 250ml version.

Fausto

• Alfonso

Thank you very much for the information Jim.

As long as we are currently involved in small WASH projects in Tanzania, I would like to check the possibility of testing the one being launched with Cresstanks in Uganda. It could be really interesting. Do you know how could I proceed?.

Thank you.

• mchalej
  • Topic Author

Thanks for your interest, Fausto.

The version commercialized in Bangladesh was designed to flush with about 500ml, which is about half of the content in the most commonly used bodnas.

We have a new version being launched with Cresstanks in Uganda that can be flushed with 250ml or less.

Product brochure is attached.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: canaday, JKMakowka, hajo, fausto

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds