Do we need to rename our yellow category to make sanitation workers more visible?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Do we need to rename our yellow category to make sanitation workers more visible?

We've now implemented Option 2: You'll see that if you scroll up and look at the main menu bar for the main categories, the yellow category is now called "Equity, inclusion & sanitation workers".

Thanks to those who provided feedback (Kris and Paresh).

Is it good like this?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Re: Do we need to rename our yellow category to make sanitation workers more visible?

I agree that adding the term in the name of the category will make the focus explicit and more intuitive for users. Hopefully, it will also bring more attention to the issue. 

Amongst the options listed by Elisabeth in her previous post, I like option 2: Equity, inclusion & sanitation workers

I also agree with Elisabeth's view about the use of the word 'safety'. Similarly, using 'sanitation work' instead of 'sanitation workers' would make it much broader to include aspects related to work in general and defeat the purpose of focusing in sanitation workers. 

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Thanks, Kris, for your reaction. I like your suggestion. I am just wondering if it limits the issues around sanitation workers to just their safety? Are the issues around dignity, human rights neglected then? Or would they anyway be part of "Equity, inclusion"?

Options on the table so far:
Option 1: Equity & inclusion (so leave it as it is)
Option 2: Equity, inclusion & sanitation workers
Option 3: Equity, inclusion & work safety
Option 4: Equity, inclusion & worker's safety

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

How about "Equity, inclusion and worker's safety" or just "Equity, inclusion and work safety"?

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Do we need to rename our yellow category to make sanitation workers more visible?

I've been thinking: the sub-category "sanitation workers" is located in our yellow category which is called "equity and inclusion". Is this ideal? Would anyone who is browsing expect to find sanitation workers there? I don't find it intuitive.

One option to improve on this would be to move the sanitation workers sub-category into our blue category - the one on "sanitation systems". As they are part of the "system". Then again, that one is mainly about technologies and not so much about human aspects. 

The other option would be to rename the yellow category from "equity and inclusion" to "equity, inclusion and sanitation workers", or something shorter? Maybe "equity, inclusion and workers"? Or "Equity, inclusion and work force"?

The current structure of the yellow category looks like this:
  • People with disabilities (27 topics)
  • Menstrual health and hygiene (MHH) or Menstrual hygiene management (MHM) (144 topics)
  • -   Awareness raising and reducing taboos (37 topics)
  • -   Menstrual hygiene products (e.g. menstrual cups, washable pads, period panties) (22 topics)
  • Gender issues 34 topics  
  • -   Female genital mutilation (FGM) and cutting (8 topics)
  • Human rights to water and sanitation (24 topics)
  • Sanitation workers (34 topics)  *
  • -   Health and safety aspects for sanitation workers (8 topics)
  • -   Equity, dignity, caste and gender for sanitation workers topics (10 topics)
  • Inclusive programming and other topics under equity and inclusion (11 topics)
* Note: Posts on pit emptying technologies are to be found in the category on "Sanitation systems, FSM".

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds