How to measure temperature, humidity and pH for UDDTs in a village in Sumba, Indonesia

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Re: How to measure temperature, humidity and pH for UDDTs in primitive Sumba

Hi Stew,

We have instructed some communities here in the Amazon to use wood ash, but the consensus later was that they had to be very careful to collect all of the ash or there was not enough for the UDDTs. And it is key for the cover material to never be lacking, which is all the more reason to use abundant materials and to recycle.

Ash could potentially be part of the mix, but my thinking is that we do not want to try to kill everything with pH, but rather allow the beneficial soil microbes, fighting on their home turf, to wipe out the pathogenic fecal microbes.

Limestone may be very abundant, but its transformation into powdered lime is very labor- or capital-intensive.

There must be some forest there somewhere. I would go out into the forest with a 1x1 cm mesh to separate out the leaves, sticks and roots. The same mesh can be used to sift the dried and decomposed barnyard manure. Even if you do not manage to get very much, a little bit of the right microbes goes a long way. (Please share these messages with the DNAE people; it would great to get their perspective.)

Rice hulls are great and should be very abundant there, so I would put 50% rice hulls.

Wood ash might best be mixed into the urine to improve its fertilizer value, as has been shown in several recent studies.

For the study, you might have 2-3 types of cover material, one being the mix I suggest, another being wood ash.

I suggest only filling the sacks to about 20 liters, so that they do not get too heavy. So changing the sacks can be part of a weekly routine, even if less feces have been collected.

(Thanks for pointing out that you were referring to my video. It seemed you were mentioning another.)

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday

Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.210 seconds