Icon for new category on equity and inclusion

Page selection:
  • Keitumetse
  • Independent consultant with interest in research, WASH knowledge management and aquatic ecotoxicology. I am an enthusiast about youth engagement and empowerment in the WASH sector.

Re: SuSanA provides space for discussions around Equity & Inclusion – which topics are important?

Hi,

I am for the hugging icon, it is not usually used.. It brings in an element of compassion which I believe we need while tackling challenges faced by all humans.
Keitumetse Tsubane
Co-coordinator SuSanA Africa Regional Chapter
(Under consultancy contract with ANEW funded by WSSCC)

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Mobile: +266 58825940

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: SuSanA provides space for discussions around Equity & Inclusion – which topics are important?

I also like the hugging icon. It's somehow unusual and different (I feel that we have seen many previous icons with hands before). Equity and inclusion has a lot do to with empathy and love, doesn't it.

So I would vote for this one:

I also like with this icon that the persons look neither male nor female. They could be interpreted to be from different ethnic groups who support each other. The simple style of this icon also matches quite well with our other category icons (whereas the more complex versions of a globe with people around it wouldn't match so well).

Paresh: about the icon that you found, I like it because the people look a little bit funny, and neither male or female. I have a small problem with the wheelchair user though. I know it is meant to symbolise someone with a disability but I worry that we only think of people with mobility problems and not think of those with other disabilities, like vision or mental impairment.

Looking forward to further brainstorming inputs?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Dear Francesca,
I like the idea of 'people hugging' for this, it could have more than 2 people often referred to as group hug. Compared to others, the idea is new and as you pointed out gives a feeling of belonging and warmth.
Between the two raised hands, the one with colours looks better to me. The last one particularly feels cliche.

If you are okay with new ideas, I found the attached from a quick google search.

Source: clipart-library.com/inclusive-cliparts.html

I like the fact that they are all holding hands and include a person on a wheelchair. Equity and inclusion have multiple dimensions and this kind provides a way to include them all in the image.

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
Attachments:

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear all,
Francesca provided some really good icon ideas for the 8th category in her post! Would someone like to say which one they prefer?

Also, just a heads up: we now have the new 8th category as a yellow circle at the top right. The icon itself (inside the yellow circle) will come soon-ish, after our consultation period with the users.

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• FrancescaNava
    Topic Author
  • Corporate Communications and Advocacy at the Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council

SuSanA provides space for discussions around Equity & Inclusion – which topics are important?

Hello everyone!

Following up on Elizabeth's post, I'd like to share some thoughts we had in mind for the new Icon.. Feel free to share your inputs!

Options:

1) People hugging: as to communicate equity in treatment regardless of people’s race or origin. By itself, the hug also showcases the idea of a “culture of belonging” where everyone is respected and valued.
May be good to surround it with one or two connecting arrows to illustrate that everyone is “included” under this principle of equity in treatment and access to resources..

2) Hands:

a) Raising hands: could be a good way to showcase the idea of inclusion as everyone has his/her hand raised, “no one is left behind”, indeed nobody has their hand down. “Hands up” would also convey the idea of equity: “everyone has his/ her hand up” regardless of their sex origin race, which we don’t see on purpose here as to avoid the women vs man contrast. Everyone just means everyone 

b) Overlapping hands: showcases the idea of “joining”, hence being “inclusive” but also the concept of equity because hands are overlapping in a gesture of reciprocal respect.

3) World surrounded by people: This would also illustrate the idea of a world where everyone is equally valued and respects each other as they are holding their hands. The circle is still there to convey the concept of being inclusive.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this! :)

Best,

Francesca

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds