How should we call the excreta-derived product of a composting toilet or a UDDT? Do we need a new term?

89k views

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: How should we call the excreta-derived product of a composting toilet or a UDDT? Do we need a new term?

I support what Patrick was saying above (Patrick, please tell us more about your work, maybe by starting a new thread?):

My view on this is that a composting toilet is a different thing to a UDDT.

This is why we have two different pages on Wikipedia: one for composting toilets (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composting_toilet) and one for UDDTs (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine-diverting_dry_toilet). :-) If we keep mixing up the terms, we will continue to confuse people.

Therefore, I would be opposed to calling the product from a UDDT "compost", unless you want to mislead your customers (or of course unless you do external, community-based composting of the materials that comes out of the UDDT; like they do at Sanergy in Nairob, Kenya or in El Alto in Bolivia).

David, can you explain why your UDDT is producing compost? How is it different to a normal UDDT? Are you adding moisture? Can you provide photos of the faeces vault and photos of your finished "compost" product? Are you establishing a rich mixture of microorganisms in the faeces pile, perhaps even including earthworms? Because all that would be required to make real compost, wouldn't it?
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, toiletrevolution

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • KaiMikkel
    Topic Author
  • Toilet Activist

Re: How should we call the excreta-derived product of a composting toilet or a UDDT? Do we need a new term?

Fabiola - "Poopost" - ¡me encanta! ¡Y me encanta tambien "pooposter"!

And while they are a little cumbersome in English - for best effect, it would be necessary in all marketing materials to equate each directly to the words "compost" and "composter" - I think that, from a marketing perspective, they are the best yet! :)
Kai Mikkel Førlie

Founding Member of Water-Wise Vermont (formerly Vermonters Against Toxic Sludge)

• fabiola
  • Program Coordinator at Sarar Transformacion, ecological architect, decentralized water and sanitation technologies expert, community planning, SARAR/PHAST participatory methodology, Spanish-English speaker

In Mexico we refer to it as "poposta" (faeces + dyhydrating material), a kind of literal translation would be "poopost"!
Therefore, we refer to the poposta treatment facility (storage + dehydration) as a "popostero", that is a "pooposter".

I am attatching an old factsheet we developed for reference.
Posted by Sarar Transformacion, based in Tepoztlan, Mexico
Follow us:www.facebook.com/SararTransformacion
Visit our website: www.sarar-t.org

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, KaiMikkel

• Tore
  • worked in sanitation for most of my life. taught plumbing. have plumbing and builders license, certified inspector in all facets of construction, PhD in public administration & have taught construction management in university, traveled numerous countries, Interest UDDT and sanitation & clean water

The term needs to be positive and explain what it is. The product is a fertilizer that helps plants grow, especially urine and the solids are great soil conditioners. Human fertilizer could work.
Sanitation & water consultant in developing countries

• DavidAlan
  • David Crosweller

We only build UDDTs and our compost is a very good composition and well aerated. We do add ash to the faecal matter after each use, but we have never had a problem with waste not breaking down. We have some small experience with 80,000 users in India per day.

• toiletrevolution
  • Botanist gone rogue - Waterless toilet and urinal supplier

My view on this is that a composting toilet is a different thing to a UDDT. We are suppliers of both types. The reason why the waste does not break down in the UUDT is that the waste is too dry, is lacking in nitrogen and does not have aeration. The true composting toilet (mentioned above) does not separate out the urine and has a rotatable drum so that all three factors (mositure, nitrogen, air) are supplied. So to answer the question what should we call the waste that comes out of a UDDT? I would say that it's unbroken down faecal matter.
Patrick Boylan
www.toiletrevolution.com/

• VigyanVijay

Re: Reply: How should we call the excreta-derived product of a composting toilet or a UDDT? Do we need a new term?

Well wishes,

We try and use a simpler term so that all understand the meaning of new terms.

Between desiccation and dehydration, dehydration is simpler and easier word to comprehend.. I think both mean.. drying out.. release of moisture.. water vapour.. etc..

In the case of .. UDT- Urine Diverting Toilet .. is a better term..if we use UDDT.. then one has to be clear about the expansion of abbreviations etc..

Let us keep the words as simple as possible.. because we have all persons from different levels, education, working in this sector.. inclusive of conservancy personnel, scientists, social workers.. others.. All the best, keep up the good work on ..

-- Er. Ajit Seshadri, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, New Delhi, India. www.vigyanvijay.org
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, DaveBates

• DaveBates

Another reason I wish to suggest changing the name is more personal:

I use the term "desiccation" instead of "dehydration" in my publications and work.

a) Desiccation Toilets, in particular the ones I named : Alkaline Desiccation Toilets (ADT's) which by the way also divert urine, and desiccate the waste through generous quick lime use, or sometimes ash

If this argument is accepted, then the toilet solids from true UDDTs, the "partially-wet operating" UDT's and the ADT could all be called UDT's

UDT's would be able then to include:

Urine Diversion Dehydration Toilets
Urine Diversion Toilets
Alkaline Desiccation Toilets

Note: I know this industry is probably already very attached to UDDT....I don't expect this recommendation from this newcomer to SuSunA to be accepted....lol B)
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, KaiMikkel

• DaveBates

I wanted to back up the discussion to "part of the question":

How should we call........product of a composting toilet or a UDDT?

1) Recommend eliminating "composting toilet" from the question.

2) Open up discussion for making a broader category at a level above UDDT:

2a) UDT's - Urine Diversion Toilet

Some UDT's do not do a good job at dehydrating and depend on dehydration or composting outside the toilet, so in my opinion (& I believe Joe Turner's) they do not adequately dehydrate the waste maybe because too short of a repose time of only 3-6 months, so perhaps can't fully claim that part of the name....perhaps those should just be called:

UDT's - Urine Diverting toilets

If they typically are designed to fully dehydrate (minimum say 1 year repose time*), they could "probably" (if designed & sited right) rightfully claim the name:

UDDT's - Urine Diverting Dehydration Toilets

* When I first started in the business in the 1980's, World Bank documents from CDM WASH stated 1 year minimum repose time
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• DaveBates

That is the thing....if we want to be scientifically accurate, it may turn out to be a "dull" name.

If we want something "sexy" for marketing, any number of names are possible.

• KaiMikkel
    Topic Author
  • Toilet Activist

Where are the marketing minds when we actually need them?!
Kai Mikkel Førlie

Founding Member of Water-Wise Vermont (formerly Vermonters Against Toxic Sludge)

• DaveBates

I think we have tried all or most of the related soil/compost terms...and none seem to fit.

I re-propose: UDDT solids

Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds