Training sessions with pit emptiers in Mombasa, Kenya, using the Gulper: training materials we might use in our trainings? - and incentives

12k views

• Elisabeth
  • I'm passionate about SuSanA's role in the WASH sector since about 2005. I'm a freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Training sessions with pit emptiers in Mombasa, Kenya, using the Gulper: training materials we might use in our trainings? - and incentives

Dear Rachel,

Thanks for posting your presentation. It's a pity the video of your presentation is not yet available but I have heard that they are coming soon now (sneak preview: www.youtube.com/user/TruyenThongSoHD/playlists )

Just based on the powerpoint slides, I couldn't quite understand which incentives exactly you offered? And which incentives worked the best? Was it mainly just about providing personal protective equipment (but how would that be an incentive to deliver the fecal sludge at the designated collection point?)?

I found it interesting that you listed these three costs of the pit emptiers:
  1. Alcohol (to make the work bearable!)
  2. Bribes (to bribe local leaders!)
  3. Chemicals (to "disinfect" the sludge - which chemicals do they use? Is this something you'd discourage in future as it could interfere with reuse options if you have nasty chemicals in the fecal sludge?)
And finally, I would like to ask you about your pit emptying photos. Would you be willing to make them available in the SuSanA flickr database? We are always after good photos showing the grim realities of dealing with fecal sludge...
You see other photos from Kenya, which Doreen Mbalo had provided in the past, here:
www.flickr.com/photos/gtzecosan/sets/72157629202806662/

Regards,
Elisabeth
Head moderator of this Discussion Forum
(under consultancy contract with Skat Foundation funded by WSSCC)

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
Founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen
You need to login to reply
  • rsklar
    Topic Author
  • Environmental Health and Sanitation Practitioner with experience in Nicaragua, Haiti and Kenya

Re: Training sessions with pit emptiers in Mombasa, Kenya, using the Gulper: training materials we might use in our trainings? - and incentives

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for your questions. Incentive schemes were designed to encourage sludge disposal at future site of the waste-to-fuel plant as opposed to hapazardly in the community. Emptiers in the treatment group received the opportunity to take advantage of two incentive programs: 1) sludge pick-up from a focal point in the community or 2) sludge drop-off dropping at the plant in exchange for a cash reward on a per volume basis. All transportation costs were paid for by Pivot during the trial period. All emptiers in the treatment cohorts were entitled to use equipment provided by pivot such as 50 gallon barrels and PPE (rubber boots, rubber gloves, protective eyewear, respirators, coveralls, and rubber jumpsuits) and stored in "sanistations" in the community. Incentive one, sludge pick-up from a focal point, was chosen in 21 of 22 empties that took place over the course of the trial. It was more feasible for the emptiers as most didn't have access to a vehicle to use for drop-offs.

Hope that answers your questions. I am very happy to share my photographs with the SusanA community on the flickr database. I am happy to provide the images in their original resolution.

-Rachel
Environmental Health/Sanitation practitioner and researcher working on pit emptying logistics/safety in SSA. Executive Director of Pit Vidura in Rwanda.
  • rsklar
    Topic Author
  • Environmental Health and Sanitation Practitioner with experience in Nicaragua, Haiti and Kenya

Dear all,

For more information on the initial incentive trial that was conducted in Mombasa in 2014, please see my talk from FSM3 (January 2015 in Hanoi) here:

Or go to time 11 seconds in this video:

Environmental Health/Sanitation practitioner and researcher working on pit emptying logistics/safety in SSA. Executive Director of Pit Vidura in Rwanda.
The following user(s) like this post: leftyrights
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds