Composting with hot box method (Howard-Higgins system)

54.6k views

Page selection:
  • richard higgins
    Topic Author

Re: Benefit of Dry Fecal Matter Reuse- is it worth the cost/effort of processing?

Dear Florian,
In response to your reply to Chris.....as was posted on Ecosan Res conference.

Our Howard Higgins system does operate for small scale operations efficiently, reliably and cost effectively, or at least it does here in the UK. (15 years)
Our particular system is 1m cubed Hot Boxes that are used in detailed thermophilic system. All results have been analyzed and will be re trialed again in Kampala again this fall. As far as I can determine it is the best system I have seen or heard about. Ascaris eggs - no problem.
Richard Higgins
Co chair WG05

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • blackburn
  • Glad to Be conversing with this group

Re: Howard-Higgins composting system Windmill-driven ATADS

The "hot box" Richard refers to I am slightly aware of. It is true that it has been used by farmers (in the US, but probably for a very long time many places in the world) to start seedlings in the late winter. A box, perhaps with a transparent cover is filled with soil, seeds and some raw (green) manure. The manure "matures" (aerobically degrades and much of the heat released is contained in the box, giving seedlings an early start in cold weather.

By the way, I greatly value the knowledge of this group.

Best Regards, Jim

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Howard-Higgins composting system Windmill-driven ATADS

Dear Jim,
This is something we all regularly ask Richard Higgins but unfortunately, he hasn't put all that much online yet... (?)
At least here you can see a presentation he gave at the 13th SuSana meeting in Kigali:
www.susana.org/lang-en/meetings/july-2011-kigali-no-13

Scrol down to working group 5, or see the direct link to the ppt:
Total Nutrient Recovery (TNR) in Sanitation to Agriculture (pdf) or (ppt) as well as an updated presentation (pdf)
Richard Higgins, New Directions Foundation, United Kingdom

www.susana.org/images/documents/04-meeti...ggins-composting.pdf

By the way, did you see the information on the sludge pelletiser in Durban which I put one level up on this forum (also under "faecal sludge management"). I think you might find that interesting, too (although it just works on heat, not on composting). But this is the crowd with a lot of experience with faecal sludge management.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• blackburn
  • Glad to Be conversing with this group

Re: Windmill-driven ATADS

Greetings Richard,

I am not at all surprised of your success. While aerobic thermophilic technologies have been around for a while, they are not taught to practitioners one-tenth as much as are anaerobic approaches. However, the do have some advantages. Can I gain more details of your London system on the internet? Best Regards, Jim

• richard higgins
    Topic Author

Windmill-driven ATADS

(note by moderator (EvM): I have now grouped all the posts by Richard Higgins and replies by others that belong to the "hot-box composting, Howard-Higgins system" into this one single thread, so that it is not scattered around the forum in different spots. I hope this helps with clarity.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello Jim,
I have developed a thermophilic system that is one cubic metre and can render the sanitation waste, MHM and household waste of up to 42 families pathogen free in 14 days - cost (minimal), developed without any funding.
We are trialling this system again in Kampala later in the year. So we will have more details.
This is the Howard Higgins system as demonstrated daily at our london micro-farm.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds