WG1 Factsheet Update

39.7k views

Page selection:
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: WG1 Factsheet Update

World Water Week presentations in session Knowledge and Capacity Development in Water, Sanitation and Environmental Management are now posted here. www.worldwaterweek.org/sa/node.asp?node=...ement&id=4&event=427

Good piece in Alert Net by George de Gooijer, Marianne Kjellen, Arno Rosemarin is here: George de Gooijer, Marianne Kjellen, Arno Rosemarin. From note following this article I also l learned about the pecha kucha format of presentations which features slides moving automatically and presenters make sure to stick to the point – and the time – in their presentations.
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • philfei

Re: WG1 Factsheet Update

Dear Dorothee and all,

thank you, Dorothee, for your initiative to update the factsheet. I checked the latest version (which is actually from 2009) and agree with you that there is a big need!

I would like to start the discussion regarding the target group, the content and the role of the SuSanA website:

1. Target group
From my point of view the target group of each factsheet and not only the one of WG1, should not be only a group of experts nor a group of general public without a sanitation background. In my opinion is everyone who is interested in sustainable sanitation our target group. I am not sure if it makes so much sense to have different chapters for different groups (like policy makers; educational institutions; NGOs; governmental organisations) because this would create duplications.

2. Content
The chapter “tools for cap. dev. Section” seems to be just a static list of resources available on the market in 2009. We could just update this list but how to keep them up to date? I think it would be better to refer to the website for latest information and replace the chapter with more content wise topics.

3. Website
It would be great if the members of the SuSanA and especially the members of WG 1 could provide the SuSanA website team with more information on existing or upcoming training courses, publications or events to bring all relevant information on sustainable sanitation on SuSanA together.

Just some comments from my side. Looking forward to your opinion.

Best,
Philipp
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

WG1 Factsheet Update

Dear all,

We would like to inform you that the SuSanA secretariat is currently planning to publish a book that comprises of all the 13 thematic SuSanA fact sheets including our working group 1 factsheet on capacity development. A first draft version of the book that has been prepared for the Stockholm meeting in August 2011 can be found here: www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=1229

Since our WG 1 factsheet has been prepared way back in 2008, we would therefore like to use the opportunity of the upcoming factsheet publication (publishing date will be some time in early November 2011) for a bigger factsheet overhaul.
The reviewing of factsheet has been announced several times and we collected some feedbacks at the last meeting in Stockholm some weeks ago.
However, we would like to collect more inputs and feedbacks.
Therefore, please have a quick look at the word doc attached and answer the following questions:
- What should be the key message of this factsheet?
- What are the general improvements needed?
- Are there any issues you feel that are not sufficiently covered yet? Are other covered too much?
- Any need for updating figures/information/statements?
- Any need for changing focus/target group etc.?
I have also posted this message on the WG1 mailinglist, but you are very much welcome to give your feedback on the forum (this will be more convenient for a lively discussion).

That is how we plan to proceed:
1) Input from working group members via email or the forum -> until 26th of September
2) Compilation of input and sending out an open request on improvements to WG (via email/forum) -> until 13th of October
3) Feedback on first Draft -> until 18th of October
4) Compilation of new version -> until 22nd
5) Opinions on new version from WG -> until 27th of October
6) Final version -> 1st of November
7) Approval by WG -> following days

If you would like to take a more active part in one of the steps above (e.g. compilation of inputs, drafting of new version), please let us know!
If not, just go ahead and start with answering the questions in the list at the beginning of this email.

Here are some quick feedbacks from Stockholm -> to trigger your inspired feedbacks :)
- We should more clearly define our target group (e.g. do we speak we want to speak to a general public about what is cap. dev. related to sustainable sanitation or do we want to speak to people from cap. dev.)?
- Give some more weight to the driving forces (and elaborate more on what could be driving forces) in the “strategies for cap.dev.” section
- Make some target group specific chapters (similar as SuSanA homepage, e.g. policy makers; educational institutions; NGOs; gouvernemantal organizations; etc.)
- Review the “tools for cap. dev. section”: e.g. separate courses and research groups working on sustainable sanitation / cap.dev.; including ToTs; make the differenciation within online discussion platforms and mailing lists; including new tools (e.g the SuSanA forum; the toolbox; the sustainablesanitation.info; etcetc.); try to categorise the “tools” also regarding the different levels/target groups for cap.dav.
- Give some examples of capacity development for sustainable sanitation in practice (not only tools, but maybe an entire project with all the different components)

Thank you so much in advance – as always it is a pleasure to work with you (and don’t forget: as more as you get involved, as more chance you get to be one of the official authors of this publication! ;-)

Kind regards

Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds