A critical review on sludge management from onsite sanitation systems: A knowledge to be revised in the current situation

Page selection:
  • Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

A critical review on sludge management from onsite sanitation systems: A knowledge to be revised in the current situation

Access to safe excreta disposal is a basic human right and an essential element of human development. Developing countries (like India) have constructed millions of toilets with on-site sanitation technologies (OSTs). However, these OSTs lack the required management system for collection, transportation and disposal of Faecal  Sludge  (FS, sludge getting accumulated in OST), leading to considerable water and soil pollution. The major challenge in  FS Management  is the collation of scattered data and concentrated experiences (i.e., existing knowledge remains with the practitioners in the field without a written record). Therefore, a critical review of existing knowledge on OST, FS collection, transportation, and its utilisation is essential. This study highlighted shortcomings associated with existing OST, FS collection, transportation, and treatment systems. Furthermore, this study provided a framework for appropriate selection of OST based on available sanitation chains, and a critical analysis of FS characteristics (i.e., total solids, pH, electrical conductivity, biological oxygen demand,  chemical oxygen demand , and pathogens of FS ranged from 830 to 72000 mg/L, 6.8 to 7.8, 1.9 to 3.5 mS/cm, 500–5000 mg/L, 100 to 49,000 mg/L, and 106 to 107 E-coli and 103 to 104 parasitic worms per litre of FS, respectively) to design treatment systems for FS utilisation as a resource in agricultural, aqua-culture, and construction application.

Full work can be found on "www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pi...121011063?via%3Dihub"

I request SuSanA community to suggest further improvements. 
I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds