Impact of Poor Sanitation on the Height of Children (various countries, e.g. Tanzania)

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Impact of Poor Sanitation on the Height of Children

Dear Elisabeth,

Thanks for reference to this website. I was looking for definitions - improved; unimproved - but could not find them. Can you help?

Will the data and statistics on this site be updated every 6 months, or 12 months?

Regards,
F H Mughal

F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
You need to login to reply
  • AmyKeegan

Hi all,

Thanks for looking at WASHwatch. We have a wide range of data on WASH access, health, education and international aid flows.

The definitions for improved/unimproved access to WASH are the old definitions from the Joint Monitoring Programme (WHO/UNICEF - washdata.org/ ) When they released their SDG baseline report this year the measurements were changed to the ladder system and water/sanitation access is now referred to as safely manages/at least basic/limited/unimproved. The definitions to what these mean are available on the WASHwatch country profile pages if you click on the statistic you want explained. Our blog released around the time of JMP explains these changes - washwatch.org/en/blog/2017/07/12/countin...itation-and-hygiene/

We update the website every 6 months fully, and when there is a big data release we will update it as soon as possible. E.g. the OECD has just released their figures for international aid flows this week and so we will be updating the website over the next few weeks. The best way to keep up to date with when we update data is to sign up to our newsletter here - www.washwatch.org/en/subscribe/

Thanks,
Amy

Amy Keegan
WASHwatch Project Lead
Policy Officer - Monitoring and Accountability
WaterAid
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Ms. Amy,

The link: washwatch.org/en/blog/2017/07/12/countin...itation-and-hygiene/ leads to Stuart Kempster's analysis.

Stuart blog says; "The SDG Baseline Report released this week . . . " When I click the SDG Baseline report link, it leads to many reports. Which one of them is the SDG Baseline Report?

Regards,
F H Mughal

F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
  • AmyKeegan

Yes, does the blog answer your questions on the definitions? The beginning part should be helpful. And on the JMP reports you can't directly link to it but on that page that I linked to it is the first one - 'Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene: 2017 update and SDG framework'
Thanks,
Amy

Amy Keegan
WASHwatch Project Lead
Policy Officer - Monitoring and Accountability
WaterAid
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author

The blog was helpful on definitions. And, thanks for referring me to the concerned report.

Is there any publication which deals with how JPM/WHO/UNICEF, develops the statistics? To illustrate my point, suppose the JPM figures say that 50% of the urban population in Pakistan has access to improved sanitation. My query is: how is this, 50% figure, arrived at.

Regards,
F H Mughal

F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

The data in those JMP reports is mainly from household surveys. The results of these surveys are reported by the national governments to JMP.
See Annex 1 of the JMP 2017 report here: washdata.org/reports ("Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene: 2017 update and SDG baselines"), or direct link to pdf here:
washdata.org/sites/default/files/documen...017-report-final.pdf

Page 56:
The JMP 2015 update drew upon 1,982 national data
sources, covering the years 1990-2015. 1,982 sources
were used to produce estimates; two thirds of these were
household surveys, with censuses and administrative sources
each contributing one sixth of data inputs

Hope this help.

Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum
funded via SEI project until January 2019 ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Thanks for the upshot.

I think, JMP guys should also do survey on their own, in countries where data may not be quite reliable.

F H Mughal

F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.949 seconds