Is sanitation in School our priority ?

Page selection:
  • llaelv

Re: Is sanitation in School our priority ?

Some would argue that the biggest priority in school is learning but learning would only come in second to hygiene. I mean, courses would take the backseat in any case when the kids get sick because of poor hygiene and maintenance in schools.

That is why I firmly believe that there should be a widespread push for maintaining cleanliness the top priority among everything else.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • info_uahdp
    Topic Author
  • Paul Ezeka

Dear Elizabeth,

Sorry for delay in replying to your questions,

Yes it need to be extensive in situations whereby the communities/school where unable to do it by themselves, and it dont need to be very expensive.

Hope this settle your questions

Best Regards,
Paul Ezeka
www.uahdp.yolasite.com
IT'S REALLY GREAT TO GIVE

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Well but my question still remains: do school toilets need to be "extensive works"? Do they really need to be very expensive?

Particularly when you speak about rural schools, an Arborloo will be just fine and is very low-cost. Please let yourself be inspired by the great work that Annie Kanyemba and Peter Morgan have done and documented so well in Zimbabwe (see the links I sent in my previous e-mail; I hope you have fast internet access so that the downloading time is reasonable).
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• info_uahdp
    Topic Author
  • Paul Ezeka

Dear Elisabeth,

Thank you for your urgent reply, this show that most international communities are ignorant of level of hardship here in African/Nigeria, i rural communities where there is no road, power, good education, water, etc. Its the work of government but they are not doing it.

our government dose not give attention to these problem, are only serving them self, and these poor communities who are trying and farming to at least eat 2 times per day, can not afford to do these extensive works.

they need helper from the international communities/NGOs, if you know how we can get access to fund these project please assist us, to help these communities.

best regards,
Paul.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Well, I am sure there is funding opportunities from someone - but not from SuSanA. SuSanA is a network for knowledge exchange but not a funding body.
When we come across funding opportunities, we put them here:
www.susana.org/lang-en/news/funding

But which organisation is normally responsible in your country to build school toilets, is it the Ministry of Education? Can you mobilise the parents so that they demand school toilets? Can parents and teachers work together to build their own? Toilets do not need to be terribly expensive, see the work for Annie Shangwa/Kanyemba in building school toilets such as Arborloos together with the pupils.

www.susana.org/library?search=shangwa

And here you find all the documents we have collected on sustainable sanitation in schools so far:
www.susana.org/lang-en/library?showby=de...s=5&vbl_5=22&vbl_0=0

Hope this helps,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• info_uahdp
    Topic Author
  • Paul Ezeka

Dear Co-league,

I am also a member of the working group 7, and i wish to know if there is access to fund such projects.

best Regards,
Paul Ezeka

• Elisabeth

Yes, school sanitation is a major issue, and within SuSanA, the working group 7 is working on it, see here:
susana.org/index.php/lang-en/working-groups/wg07

Please see in particular their factsheet which was recently completed:
www.susana.org/lang-en/library/rm-susana...eitem&type=2&id=1188

There is also a mailing list of WG 7 which you can get on (just contact the working group lead or join SuSanA as a member). I think you will find a lot of like minded people there!

Do you have any particular questions or points which you want to discuss here?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• info_uahdp
    Topic Author
  • Paul Ezeka

Is sanitation in School our priority ?

Dear Reader,

Greetings from the UPEZ AFRICAN HUMANITARIAN DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS, (UAHDP) NGO. We are happy to part of this forum, as it's a nice communication tools.

Sanitation in school's has been left without solution, i am using Nigeria as a case study, sanitation have not been given attention as it deserve, many i mean lots of schools in Nigeria don't have access to hygienic water,toilets majorly in the rural communities.

Reasons for this have been that there is not fund to implement such projects, no individual willing to help them outwith philanthropic gesture, schools are abandoned in rust, no seat for pupils in their class rooms,no menstrual materials for girls etc.

With these problem I think the rural communities/education are not a priority to most Social Justice Organizations(SJO).

we have taken bold step to help these affected communities and schools across African, IF SANITATION IN SCHOOLS IS YOUR PRIORITY, then contact us, so that we can join hands together and make greater positive impact in the African Communities

Warmly Regards,
Ugochukwu Paul Ezeka
President,UAHDP.
www.uahdp.yolasite.com
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds