VIP toilets that have been designed to make pit emptying easier (Zimbabwe)

Page selection:
  • morgan
    Topic Author
  • I am a backyard tinkerer (trained as a biologist). I have lived in Zimbabwe for 42 years, where I have worked, amongst other things, on rural water supply and sanitation.

Re: processing pit material: Blair VIP - a method of recycling pit contents

Dear Readers,

Another little experiment (Blair VIP - a method of recycling pit contents). With a little science thrown in. Soil is a great converter. Its been at work for countless millions of years.

Best wishes Peter

Peter Morgan
Harare, Zimbabwe
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • morgan
    Topic Author
  • I am a backyard tinkerer (trained as a biologist). I have lived in Zimbabwe for 42 years, where I have worked, amongst other things, on rural water supply and sanitation.

Re: Further trials with pit emptying

Dear Readers,

Another back yard experiment (see attachment below: Further trials with pit emptying). It needs a bit of space, and suitably trained people. A ladder, rope and bucket and spade is also useful. The material is added to a wide shallow pit and mixed with the extracted soil. Nature and time does the rest.

Best wishes Peter

Peter Morgan
Harare, Zimbabwe
Attachments:

• morgan
    Topic Author

Re: more vips

Dear Readers,

Here is another one of our back yard experiments, see attachment. But not my back yard!

Best wishes Peter

Peter Morgan
Harare, Zimbabwe
Attachments:

• morgan
    Topic Author

VIP toilets that have been designed to make pit emptying easier (Zimbabwe)

Dear Readers,

I attach here (see attachment below) and in the next few submissions and small series of works written about VIP (ventilated improved pit) toilets that have been designed to make pit emptying easier. The method was really intended for areas where there was some space for processing the extracted pit contents and also where experienced pit excavators were available. The method is extremely simple using bucket and spade mainly. But in a suitable environment, it works.

Best wishes Peter

P.S. You find in the SuSanA library some other publications of mine about the Blair VIP toilet:
www.susana.org/library?search=blair
including a presentation on its history:
www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=1179

Peter Morgan
Harare, Zimbabwe
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds