"Improved" with mud vs concrete slab?

• ajnarracott
    Topic Author

"Improved" with mud vs concrete slab?

Hi All

I'm struggling to find clarification about whether an improved toilet ('basic' in SDGs terminology) needs to have a concrete slab or is a mud/wood slab adequate. Can anyone provide clarification with references?

I found the following clues/opinions (and the JMP site seemed brief on definitions):

"Cement slabs are obviously easier to clean. But from our experience in Mali, technically, the lateritic mud + wooden structure platforms can be cleaned: the platform needs to be swept regularly ..... Following these minimum standards, lateritic mud platform latrines built under CLTS can be considered as improved sanitation"
UNICEF Mali ref www.unicef.org/wcaro/CLTS_vs_JMP_Mali.pdf

"a dry pit latrine that uses a hole in the ground to collect the excreta and a squatting slab or platform that is firmly supported on all sides, easy to clean and raised above the surrounding ground level to prevent surface water from entering the pit. The platform has a squatting hole, or is fitted with a seat..... many stakeholders remain uncertain whether pit latrines with non-concrete slabs, particularly those with mud or earth covered floors, qualify as an improved sanitation facility. " UNICEF Sanitation Monitoring Toolkit. ref : www.sanitationmonitoringtoolkit.com/sani...al-sanitation-access

Thanks
Andy
You need to login to reply
  • ajnarracott
    Topic Author

Re: "Improved" with mud vs concrete slab?

OK, I think I answered my own question:

"The international indicator for measuring achievement of sanitation goals is the ‘proportion of population with access to improved sanitation’. For this international indicator, the new, standardized definition of an acceptable ‘sanitary facility’ is a flush facility that flushes to a piped sewer system, septic tank, or pit (latrine); a ventilated improved pit latrine; a pit latrine with a slab, or a composting latrine. A pit latrine with a slab is defined as a dry pit latrine whereby the pit is fully covered by a slab except for the seat or drop hole. The slab can be made of any material. " MICS4 Manual for Designing Questionnaires here

About MICS4 "in preparation for SDG monitoring, the JMP has collaborated with the UNICEF Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS) programme to develop and test new questions and indicators which fill data gaps regarding sanitation services. " here: washdata.org/monitoring/sanitation
The following user(s) like this post: muench
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: "Improved" with mud vs concrete slab?

Thanks for your question and (own) answer, Andy! So the slab can be made of any material to count towards SDG6. I thought so but wasn't totally sure so thanks for digging out the reference for this!
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum
funded via SEI project until January 2019 ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.693 seconds