Twin pit pour flush latrines in India - is it timely to call into question the design and operating principles?

• linusdagerskog
  • Research fellow at SEI interested in scale and sustainbility of productive sanitation. Main experience from Burkina Faso, Niger, Ethiopia and a co-owned farm in Sweden

Re: Twin pit pour flush latrines in India - is it timely to call into question the design and operating principles?

Dear Pawan,
Great that you will be working on high water table solutions in Bihar. As you mentioned, there was a "sustainable sanitation" project in Bihar, coordinated by colleagues at SEI (Kim Andersson and Cecilia Ruben) and Prakash Kumar at WASHi. I think it would be really interesting to learn some lessons from post-project sustainability of these different Bihar pilots.
Kim Andersson at SEI made a post to the forum with all the fact-sheets produced after the project in 2014:
forum.susana.org/175-urine-reuse-or-infi...-agricultural-trials
The long term composting toilet might be interesting to continue adapt and improve on?
Best
Linus
You need to login to reply
  • pkjha
  • Working for over 30 years in the fields of sanitation, biogas from human wastes, septage management, waste water treatment in rural as well as urban areas in India and other developing countries.

Re: Twin pit pour flush latrines in India - is it timely to call into question the design and operating principles?

Dear Linus
I know the Eco San project in Bihar well and had discussion with Cecilia whenever she visited Delhi. Such project is most suited for high ground water table areas as there is no chance of contamination of ground water at all. But to make it culturally acceptable for most of the people, proper awareness is required as people use water for cleaning and flushing. I am giving one such option under the project and will be happy to implement EcoSan toilets in some households in the targeted village.

regards

Pawan

Pawan Jha
Chairman
Foundation for Environment and Sanitation
Mahavir Enclave
New Delhi 110045, India
Web: www.foundation4es.org
Linked: linkedin.com/in/drpkjha
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.885 seconds