Latrine pits for loose soil and rocky soil? - Question from Nigeria

Page selection:
  • dandreatta
  • I am a mechanical engineer and work for a consulting company. I do projects around water, cookstoves, and sanitation in my spare time.

Re: Latrine pits for loose soil and rocky soil? - Question from Nigeria

Is it worth considering a pit latrine without a pit? I've started working on some ideas that use a barrel lying on its side as a substitute for a pit. The idea is that you don't have trouble with soil collapsing, ground water, slabs breaking, etc.

The attached document gives the details. The barrel needs to be emptied frequently, but it is easy to empty. There are a number of options, including ones with a vent pipe similar to a Ventilated Improved Pit Latrine.

This idea is still early in the development stage, and I plan to work on it in the coming months. Normally, I wouldn't share an idea that was still in a preliminary stage like this, but the discussion seemed to be the perfect opportunity to at least start some discussion.

Dale Andreatta, Ph.D., P.E.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Dale Andreatta, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineer

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • rochelleholm

Hello,
In Malawi, the corbelled pit latrine targeted for rural areas has been working well. It is low-cost and uses no cement. However, it is not designed to be emptied.

For more information on the corbelled pit latrine take a look at:
UNICEF Malawi, WASH Field Note: Going Beyond ODF: Combining Sanitation Marketing with Participatory Approaches to Sustain ODF Communities in Malawi, 2015.

Rochelle
Rochelle Holm, Ph.D., PMP
Mzuzu (Malawi)

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Nneka,

It would be nice if you could provide the context to your question? Why do you ask and which resources you have already searched through to find the answer?

Have you looked through this sub-category on the forum about pit latrines?:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/251-pi...a-hole-in-the-ground

You'll find some resources mentioned there that deal with pit latrines. Presumably they also include information on what to do about loose and rocky soil.

E.g. check out this thread by Peter Morgan:
Stabilising brick VIP latrines in softer soils (Zimbabwe)
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/251-pi...ofter-soils-zimbabwe

Seems like it should be helpful.

In general, loose and rocky soils can be one reason for changing from a pit latrine to a UDDT toilet (urine-diverting dehydration toilet) but you said in your post you're not interested in the "Eco-San Model" so I won't dwell on this further.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Nneka
  • Topic Author

Latrine pits for loose soil and rocky soil? - Question from Nigeria

1. Please i need suggestions on available options for latrine pits for rocky soil for poor communities, not the Eco-San Model.
2. What is the best pit solutions for loose soil that is healthy, affordable,durable, for poor communities not

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds