Is there any guideline for water safety protocol in domestic rainwater hervesting system?

Page selection:
  • Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Re: Is there any guideline for water safety protocol in domestic rainwater hervesting system?

Dear All, 

I find that this publication is was worth sharing on the subject ‘rainwater harvesting for domestic use’ more broadly. You can have a look at it through this link: www.pseau.org/outils/ouvrages/agromisa_r...omestic_use_2006.pdf

The booklet offers guidance on how to collect, store and purify rainwater for direct use at household level. It also offers some practical guidelines in the construction of rainwater harvesting infrastructure from design to implementation and is illustrated  with pictures, tables and examples from the Rainwater Harvesting Implementation Network (RAIN’s) experience, who are contributors in the development of this booklet.

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • kimgerly
  • To be a transformative leader and change agent for rebranding waste as a resource, and developing and implementing innovative and agile eco-sanitation service options for application in the built/urban environment.

Re: Is there any guideline for water safety protocol in domestic rainwater hervesting system?

Greywater Action which started in Berkeley, CA, USA has great guidance and suggestions for harvesting rainwater. Co-founder Laura Allen has been performing this work for almost 22 years. Laura has also been a technical reviewer and contributor to the 2018 IAPMO Water Efficiency and Sanitation Standard (WE•Stand).

The publication of WE•Stand is noteworthy, as it is the first-ever standard that focuses solely on achieving safe and efficient water use in both residential and non-residential buildings.

out thinking the box | poopologist | hope & trimethylxanthine addict | solving spherical cow problems | fluid mechanics | heat transfer | communicating complex technical topics in basic terms that anyone can understand
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, Nasrin

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Chaiwe wrote: Therefore, I am not sure a sanitary inspection form world work so well for that. Maybe for data collection purposes for a baseline on the subject perhaps....

Yes I agree after reading the further explanation. I actually know about the situation in Teknaf and... it is difficult :-/

That said, a sanitary inspection form can be also used as an awareness rising tool. Usually it is difficult to quantify the data collected with it anyways, especially when the data gathering is done by not very well trained volunteers. However the process of going through the inspection form (which is basically a guided interview) with members of the households is already a awareness rising and hygiene promotion process by itself.
The following user(s) like this post: Nasrin

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Dear JK,

Sounds to me like Nasrin is searching for guidelines that can be used to foster behaviour change on safe rainwater harvesting, storage and usage. The guidelines would be used to develop training modules for behaviour change interventions? Is that it Nasrin?

Therefore, I am not sure a sanitary inspection form world work so well for that. Maybe for data collection purposes for a baseline on the subject perhaps....

Nasrin, I am now more curious to hear about your planned intervention. Is it a Behaviour change intervention or does it include other aspects e.g improving quantity and quality of water harvested through the improvement of infrastructure? etc..

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

The following user(s) like this post: blevira

• Nasrin
  • Topic Author

Thanks a lot .
I m working in coastal area area of Bangladesh where water crisis is severe. Most of the households depends on contaminated river and pond water and rain water harvesting to store and use during dry spell ( Oct  to march).  But the vessel they use to collect the rainwater is also contaminated by fecal and pathogens. So a proper water safety guideline to enhance their capacity is very urgent. I hope this guideline will help me to prepare our modules. 
The following user(s) like this post: blevira

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

You mean like a sanitary inspection form?

This is generally a good resource, but might not be exactly what you are looking for:
www.rural-water-supply.net/en/resources/details/396
The following user(s) like this post: Nasrin

• Nasrin
  • Topic Author

Is there any guideline for water safety protocol in domestic rainwater hervesting system?

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds