Worldwide study of menstrual management - looking at the literature on global MHM, existing practices

Page selection:
  • SusannahClemence
    Topic Author
  • independent researcher

Re: Fwd: [SuSanA forum] worldwide study of menstrual management (Menstrual hygiene management (MHM))

(this is another old post - over a year old but still relevant because I'm still at it - that didn't make it the first time as it was sent to the wrong e-mail address):

Forwarded message
Date: Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: [SuSanA forum] worldwide study of menstrual management (Menstrual hygiene management (MHM))
To: SuSanA forum <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>

This is great! Thank you so much for your reply, Thilde - really helpful.

I use the term 'phenomenological' based on my own understanding of the definitions I have read, eg Lester, 1999 (www.sld.demon.co.uk/resmethy.pdf). Possibly I'm slightly warping its meaning to suit my own.

I mean that I want to collect and present data from across the world on how women are ACTUALLY managing menstruation in the lived world, in the present, without prejudging, as far as I am able, practices as good or bad. My reasoning is that it may enable cross-fertilising of diverse ideas, illuminate different attitudes and ways of thinking, perhaps provide insights that are inspiring, helpful and refreshing to each other.

I want to include explanations women themselves give as to why they use their menstrual management methods.

I don't expect to take primary data from more than about 6 or 7, hopefully widely diverse, nationalities/cultures. It'll just be a start.
I am interested in what your student is studying, and I would like to read more about it.
Yes, I think I'll stick with the description 'phenomenological'. Even though it's hard to spell!

Thanks again,
Susannah

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • vishakhagoyal

Re: Worldwide study of menstrual management - looking at the literature on global MHM, existing practices

Dear Elisabeth,
here is the link of article which reflects the summary of this report.I am working on key issues of Menstrual health and sanitation practises in India,entrepreneurial opportunities and social traits.my study is in infancy stage so I can't share much.data is major constrain here rather in India it is one of the neglected area. one PPP project has also undertaken in this era.you can check if it is of any use for you.
1.www.unicef.org/india/health_3623.htm
2. timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/70-can...icleshow/7344998.cms

• arundatimd

Re: Worldwide study of menstrual management - looking at the literature on global MHM, existing practices

Dear All,

I am a researcher who works on MHM and sanitation. I am planning to conduct a large scale systematic review on MHM interventions to study what works, why, and in which settings, with a focus on low and middle income countries. My main issue is funding such an intensive research study. So if anyone has any ideas on who can fund such a study, please do share. I am also happy to collaborate with others to take this forward.

Best,
Arundati
Arundati Muralidharan
Senior Research Fellow, Public Health Foundation of India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• kengelly

Hi all,

In relation to a global study related to MHM, my organization Population Services International is exploring this space and if/how we can integrated MHM into some of our activities. We're active in sanitation but also have a robust family planning and reproductive health department through which we could work as well.

I'm seeking contact information - either yours or anyone you may recommend - of experts/anyone with more knowledge than me with regard to MHM so that we can reach out about possible consultancies but also to better understand what everyone is up to to see how we can position ourselves to be complementary and leverage the progress that has been made, if PSI is to start activities in this area.

If anyone is interested in sharing their work/experience/info, please feel free to email me directly at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Many thanks!!

-Genevieve
Genevieve Kelly
Graduate Student | MBA & MPH
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD USA | tel: 570-854-5075 skype: kengelly
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• vishakhagoyal

Hello Susannah,
I am Vishakha working as assistant Professor, there was a study done in India “Sanitary Protection: Every Women’s Health Right", this study by AC Nielsen reveals only 12 % of India’s 355 million women use sanitary napkins. Over 88% of women resort to shocking alternatives like unsanitised cloth, ashes and husk sand. Incidents of Reproductive Tract Infection (RTI) are 70% more common among these women.
Data is major constrain to study this topic but lot of research is needed

• SusannahClemence
    Topic Author
  • independent researcher

Hello all,
I've been reviewing the current literature on menstrual management techniques across the world, and I'd like to share a version of a presentation I gave (SMCR conference, Boston, June 2015) on this study. I'd be interested to get feedback.

It's a very condensed discussion about the content and tone of the contemporary literature on the range of menstrual management practices across the World, and the concerns it throws up.

Thanks,
Susannah

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• SusannahClemence
    Topic Author
  • independent researcher

Re: worldwide study of menstrual management

Dear Thilde,
Thank you for responding so helpfully to my question - I am sorry if you did not receive a reply sooner - I must have misdirected my immediate reply!
I would appreciate any specific references for literature you would particularly recommend - I am reading as widely as I can around the topic, but would value guidance from you or anyone else in the field.

I am looking to open up an exchange of information on day-to-day practices, to reveal (I hope) the diversity of approaches and technologies, and their attendant and implied attitudes to menstruation and to womanhood.

My own experience, conversations and initial reading have shown that attitudes can vary widely and shift rapidly, eg from disgust to celebration and back again, with profound implications for women's health, social and economic status. I believe there may be a 2-way influence between such attitudes and the technologies (however simple) employed.

Above all, I believe that open discourse and sharing of experiences, positive as well as negative, will contribute to the empowerment of all women.

So my study may well be initially open, broad and dealing with surface phenomena, but I intend ultimately to focus in on two or three areas to illustrate diverse experiences, then perhaps draw out generalisations.

I would very much like to hear people's suggestions, especially experiences of successful, and unsuccessful, methods of collecting such data,

Susannah
The following user(s) like this post: RachelTTextiles

• thilde

Re: worldwide study of menstrual management

Hi Susannah,
I am not sure how you will manage to apply a phenomenological approach to a world wide study...? But anyhow, a student of mine is doing a review of the health impacts of mentrual management.

I have not seen a review of the qualitative dimensions of menstrual management, even though the body of literature on this issue is now of a considerable size. It could be interesting to see such a narrative review of the hermeutic and phenomenological dimensions of managing menstruation (how do women make sense of menstruation, and how do they perceive it?).

The literature spans widely across classical anthropological issues of taboos, rituals and issues of fertility, coming of age, womenhood and sexuality, to more modern issues of sanitation, attending school, and managing hygiene and health.

So you might have to find a more specific focus for a review. But I would love to read it!

All the best,
Thilde Rheinländer
Thilde Rheinländer,
Researcher with interests in socio-cultural factors in WASH

• SusannahClemence
    Topic Author
  • independent researcher

Worldwide study of menstrual management - looking at the literature on global MHM, existing practices

Worldwide study of menstrual management - Is anyone doing one?
I would like to do a phenomenological study how menstruation is actually managed by women across the world. If someone else is doing such a study, I'd like to hear - maybe I could join you rather than starting afresh?

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds