WANTED: How do you define MHM?

• Alice
    Topic Author

WANTED: How do you define MHM?

Dear Sanitation Community,

For the global programme 'Sanitation for Millions' I am currently drafting a position paper on MHM, with the aim of outlining our approach to menstrual hygiene management in terms of infrastructure, products, supplies and education.
In 2014, UNICEF and WHO have defined MHM as "Women and adolescent girls using a clean menstrual management material to absorb or collect blood that can be changed in privacy as often as necessary for the duration of the menstruation period, using soap and water for washing the body as required, and having access to facilities to dispose of used menstrual management materials".
I would like to share my concern about this definition with you, as it is lacking the whole knowledge, attitudes and power systems part as well as it portrays MHM as a solely female issue.
Hence, I am looking to come up with a more encompassing and clever definition, so I would really appreciate if any of you have ideas / suggestions / comments.

Cheers,
Alice

Alice Giulia Brandt
Junior Advisor
Sanitation for Millions

Department Climate, Environment and Infrastructure
Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
65726 Eschborn
Germany
T +49 6196 79 -2437
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: SusannahClemence
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds