Menstrual Hygiene Management in Humanitarian Emergencies

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Menstrual Hygiene Management in Humanitarian Emergencies

Dear Marni,

Thanks for making a posting on our forum! As it is your first posting, please introduce yourself with just a couple of sentences so that people know who you are (I know who you are but most of the other readers do not :-) ).

Secondly, the link which you provided above failed to open for me? (I think it only works for people at your university, is that possible?). Actually, I think this one would be correct one: practicalaction.org/waterlines-31-1-and-2-contents

And finally, could you please also copy the conclusions section from your paper to here (I am sure that would not violate the copyright agreement) - as from the abstract alone, not very much information can be gleaned with regards to results.

Thanks and regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • MSommer
  • Topic Author

Menstrual Hygiene Management in Humanitarian Emergencies

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I cannot post the article (for copyright reasons) but wanted to post a note about our recent publication in Waterlines that calls attention to addressing MHM in Humanitarian Emergency contexts. We are hoping it generates more discussion and interest in the issue. I have copied/pasted the abstract below, and the link to the article on the Waterlines website is: columbia.library.ingentaconnect.com/cont...31/F0020001/art00008

Abstract:
Over the last 15 years there has been increasing attention to adolescent girls' and women's menstrual hygiene management (MHM) needs in humanitarian response contexts. A growing number of donors, non-governmental organizations, and governments are calling attention to the importance of addressing girls' and women's MHM-related needs in post-disaster and post-conflict settings. However consensus on the most effective and culturally appropriate responses to provide for girls and women remains insufficiently documented for widespread sharing of lessons learned. This article is an effort to begin to document the recommendation of key multi-disciplinary experts working in humanitarian response on effective approaches to MHM in emergency contexts, along with a summarizing of the existing literature, and the identification of remaining gaps in MHM practice, research and policy in humanitarian contexts.

Cheers,
MS
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds