SOAP IT UP! handwashing design challenge

Page selection:
  • inajurga
    Topic Author
  • International Coordinator Menstrual Hygiene Day / Head of Education, WASH United

Re: SOAP IT UP! handwashing design challenge

Dear oliver

Those look great! Thanks for posting these.

Even if we do not want to include commercial products in the challenge, i really like the idea to use fabric.

So we can use some colourful indian fabric!

and/ or even cooperate with goonj, who are recycling fabrics for different purposes (p.e. Menstrual pads)

I will contact demotech in the course of the weeks.

Ina
International Coordinator Menstrual Hygiene Day
WASH United
www.wash-united.org

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • OlivierC
  • Networking in Belgium for sutainable sanitation

I don't have that much time but I think this could be more inspiration ;)

demotech.org/d-publications/designB.php?sub=280

Sorry if it was inappropriate but I had to go while still wishing to post something :)

PS: I have no copyright and therefore would recommend to contact Demotech for more information if needed :)
Olivier Chaput
Responsable Recherche et développement d'alternatives
Research and Development of Alternatives
Pour/For Exposant d

Animation et coordination du réseau de l'assainissement durable (Belgique)
Belgium
The following user(s) like this post: inajurga

• inajurga
    Topic Author
  • International Coordinator Menstrual Hygiene Day / Head of Education, WASH United

Dear Bayeboah

It has been shown that the availability and access to a dedicated place for washing hands with soap is one of the crucial aspects to motivate and sustain this key life saving behavior.

Yes, we will definately document the process: from submitted design ideas - to prototype construction to the testing: usability, reliability and acceptance.

Naturally, comsumer feedback is the most important. My little dream is that we show so simple but attractive solutions that the visitors will start to build it themselves at home... :side:

even if there will be always cultural differences (interesting read is the WSP document development of a handwashing station for Vietnam
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

), but we hope that there will be so many new and innovative ideas can be also introduced to other contextes.

And also on the other side , i think some design ideas from African / Latin American context could also work in India!

Looking forward to great ideas... SOAP IT UP!
WASH United
www.wash-united.org

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: AnanyaGh

• bayeboah

This is a good initiative that can help improve the sanitation situation in developing countries. Awareness is known to have an effect change in peoples attitudes and so this initiative will contribute to making handwashing and sanitation a "talk of" among ordinary people and incite change in attitudes for the better. It would be good to learn about the outcome and impact of this challenge so that it can be replicated in other developing regions.
Bismark

• inajurga
    Topic Author

SOAP IT UP! handwashing design challenge

Ideas for innovative handwashing facilities wanted!

WASH United, IDEO, Quicksand, HatteryLabs, Südfeuer and the Water and Sanitation Program (WSP) are looking for new and innovative design ideas for a handwashing station for rural Indian households.
A handwashing station that helps to turn handwashing from a dull duty to a happy and joyful experience. The TOP 5 designs will go on “The Great WASH Yatra”, a multi-channel mega-campaign implemented by WASH United and Quicksand in the fall of 2012, where they will be tested by tens of thousands of people. The winners of the “People’s Choice Award” will win eternal glory and an invitation to present their story at the 2013 Unbox Festival in Delhi.
Take an elephant, laughter, innovative hand-washing stations and delightful soap prototypes, and what do you have? You have the Great WASH Yatra—a way to educate and excite communities on how to improve the quality of their lives and tackle sanitation, both practically and meaningfully.

More information at
www.wash-united.org/media/club-news/club...llenge-launched.html

Submission and inquires to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
WASH United
www.wash-united.org
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: AnanyaGh

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds