Information showing importance of Wikipedia in general terms

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Announcing the new WikiProject Sanitation - inviting all SuSanA members to get involved and donate a little bit of their time

Two more interesting links for those following progress on the Wikipedia WikiProject Sanitation:

(1)

Wikipedia receives Spain’s Princess of Asturias Award for International Cooperation

Full article:
blog.wikimedia.org/2015/06/17/princess-of-asturias-award/

A section from the article that I found particularly interesting:

Wikipedia is one of the most popular knowledge resources in the world; it is read by nearly half a billion people every month. From its humble origins nearly fifteen years ago, it now offers more than 35 million articles in 288 languages—including a number of indigenous languages—all written by volunteers from around the globe.

According to the jury of the Princess of Asturias Awards, Wikipedia is an “important example of international, democratic, open and participatory cooperation—to which thousands of people of all nationalities contribute selflessly—that has managed to make universal knowledge available to everyone along similar lines to those achieved by the encyclopedic spirit of the 18th century.”

“Cooperation is what Wikipedia is all about, and it is a tremendous honor to be recognized by the Princess of Asturias Awards,” said Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia. “I hope this inspires more people to become involved in the mission to share in the sum of all knowledge with the world.”

Previous recipients of the Princess of Asturias Award for International Cooperation include the Fulbright Program, the International Red Cross, the World Health Organization, Al Gore, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, and others.

+++++

(2)

There is a WikiProject called WikiProject X which analyses and supports other WikiProjects with various tools.

Here they are providing a new WikiProject directory at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Directory …. See who edits article topics you care about!
(from a tweet by Dan Jarratt ‏@danjarratt 18. June)

When I compare our humble little still quite young WikiProject Sanitation I see that we have tagged only a small number of articles so far compared to others. But we have a relatively high number of active editors compared to some other WikiProjects.

Our sister project WikiProject Medicine is in 4th place of all 2000 English WikiProjects in terms of active project participants (members):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Directory/All

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds