Are there suggestions for Recommended WASH readings ?

Page selection:
  • rkaupp
  • Rémi Kaupp Executive Director, Container-Based Sanitation Alliance

Re: Are there suggestions for Recommended WASH readings ?

Hello. For academics, why not go with the papers suggested above. For non-academic professionals, I have found that books such as Rose George's "The Big Necessity" or Ben Fawcett and Maggie Black's "The Last Taboo" are excellent starting points, embracing societal and cultrual issues whilst describing approaches. Both are 10 years old so lacking on more recent developments (FSM innovations, advances in both CLTS and SanMark) but still 99% relevant.
Rémi Kaupp
Executive Director, Container-Based Sanitation Alliance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • commanderzero41
  • Dr. James R. Mihelcic is Professor of Civil and Environ Engrg and Director of the Engineering for International Development Engineering at the University of South Florida (Tampa). He co-edited the sanitation technology chapters of the Global Water Pathogen Project and is lead author for Field Guide to Environ Engrg for Development Workers

In my first day of WaSH Engineering course, we introduce the SDGs, watch a video, and have a few readings to introduce the class.

I use this video, The Story of Cholera,

And then an introductory chapter from my book (Chapter 2 is on health and the role of the engineering) Mihelcic, J.R. et al. Field Guide in Environmental Engineering for Development Workers: Water, Sanitation, Indoor Air, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Press, Reston, VA, 2009.

We then discuss this open access paper and have an assignment regarding it "Mihelcic, J. R., Naughton, C. C., Verbyla, M. E., Zhang, Q., Schweitzer, R. W., Oakley, S. M., ... & Whiteford, L. M. (2017). The grandest challenge of all: The role of environmental engineering to achieve sustainability in the world's developing regions. Environmental Engineering Science, 34(1), 16-41. Open Access"

Hope this helps, James Mihelcic
The following user(s) like this post: MarcusErridge

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Hi Nora.
I think the paper is open access. If not, you can write to Chris or any of the other authors, I am sure they will be happy to share.

PS: I can share if needed but think its good to let the authors know directly or through metrics that their paper is being read.

paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• norahinrichs

Hi Paresh,

This research paper sounds very interesting and super relevant. Especially their key point that the sanitation system consists of both, the technological and the social aspects. Do you know how I (and other people) could get access to this paper. I would love to be able to read more than the abstract:)

Hyun, C., Burt, Z., Crider, Y., Nelson, K. L., Prasad, C. S. S., Rayasam, S. D. G., … Ray, I. (2019). Sanitation for Low-Income Regions: A Cross-Disciplinary Review. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 44(1), 287–318. doi.org/10.1146/annurev-environ-101718-033327

Thanks a lot in advance!
Nora

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

I agree that wikipedia is a good place to start with, Elizabeth's efforts have improved the quality of wiki articles on sanitation immensely.
sanitation has a wide range of issues that can be looked at from various perspectives. If somebody is interested in looking at it from gender and/or inequalities perspective, I would certainly add Susun Chaplin's annotated bibliography available at cprindia.org/news/6353

paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Abishek,

Sounds like you are looking for something for the layperson to read. In that case, there is nothing better than the Wikipedia articles! Get them to read the Wikipedia article on sanitation and on WASH:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASH

And if you see flaws in those articles then please help me/us to improve them. :-)

Apart from that, we have also compiled key readings by forum category and sub-category here on this page (although an update of these would be good; we last updated this a few years ago):
forum.susana.org/key-documents

Hope this help,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• abisheknarayan
    Topic Author
  • Researcher at Eawag-Sandec. Interests in Sanitation Planning, Urban WASH, CWIS. Co-Lead for WG-6 on Cities. Follow me on Twitter @abishek_water

Thanks Paresh !

Review papers are a great way of starting, I agree. And these papers you've mentioned are definitely some of the latest key readings to understand sanitation perspectives. Hyun et al., 2019 gives a nice review of the different fields that intersect at Sanitation what each of their motivations are.

I am also wondering if there are there other readings such as "Introduction to WASH Basics" that cuts through some of the inherent knowledge that those of us in the sector assume is common knowledge. Something that summarizes these key developments in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
Abishek S Narayan
Co-lead for SuSanA WG-6: Cities
Researcher, Eawag-Sandec
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @abishek_water

• paresh

Hi Abhishek.
Review papers are a good way to start understanding a new field. I would recommend the following

Hyun, C., Burt, Z., Crider, Y., Nelson, K. L., Prasad, C. S. S., Rayasam, S. D. G., … Ray, I. (2019). Sanitation for Low-Income Regions: A Cross-Disciplinary Review. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 44(1), 287–318. doi.org/10.1146/annurev-environ-101718-033327

Rosenqvist, T., Mitchell, C., & Willetts, J. (2016). A short history of how we think and talk about sanitation services and why it matters. Journal of Water Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 6(2), 298–312. doi.org/10.2166/washdev.2016.118

Nelson KL, Murray A. 2008. Sanitation for unserved populations: technologies, implementation challenges, and opportunities. Annu. Rev. Environ. Resour. 33(1):119–51

Best
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha

The following user(s) like this post: MarcusErridge

• abisheknarayan
    Topic Author
  • Researcher at Eawag-Sandec. Interests in Sanitation Planning, Urban WASH, CWIS. Co-Lead for WG-6 on Cities. Follow me on Twitter @abishek_water

Are there suggestions for Recommended WASH readings ?

Hi all,

There are a lot of WASH courses online, many Wikipedia entries, tonnes of journal articles and reports from several WASH projects across the globe.

This recent Forum thread on WASH inventory covers some (forum.susana.org/forum/?view=topic&catid=54&id=23416&start=1000).

But if we were to suggest just 1 or 2 readings for an introduction to WASH, to other sector related professionals, or perhaps to students in related fields such as engineering and policy-

Which ones would you recommend ? Are there any favorites ?

Thanks a lot !

Abishek S Narayan
Co-lead for SuSanA WG6: Cities
Doctoral Researcher, Eawag-Sandec
Abishek S Narayan
Co-lead for SuSanA WG-6: Cities
Researcher, Eawag-Sandec
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @abishek_water

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds