Greenhouse gas emissions from sanitation value chain in urban poor settlements

• RanF

Re: Greenhouse gas emissions from sanitation value chain in urban poor settlements

Dear community,

this topic was created quite some years ago but I've read it with great interest. I am actually working right now on a tool to estimate GHG emissions from containment, (emptying and) transport, treatment, resuse and disposal of faecal sludge. It shall be included into the ECAM tool very soon.*

What the tool will do is estimate the emissions based on IPCC and other literature references. The calculations will rely on a lot of default values for the characteristics of faecal slduge while the user will be also able to insert some more precise data if available.

I am currently still looking for some default values regarding the composition (e.g. total N, TVS) of different kinds of faecal slduge including raw faecal sludge, dried, dehydrated (from UDDT), digested, composted, pit hummus etc. If you have an idea where to look or have any thoughts to share on this I'd be happy to hear from you.

Many thanks in advance!
Ranjin

* Note by moderator: see also this forum thread about ECAM: forum.susana.org/195-climate-change-and-...urban-water-services

Ranjin Fernando
Advisor
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
You need to login to reply
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Re: Greenhouse gas emissions from sanitation value chain in urban poor settlements

Dear Ranjin,

You asked about "default values regarding the composition (e.g. total N, TVS) of different kinds of faecal sludge". In case you haven't seen these threads yet, I think you'll find some useful information here on the forum:
forum.susana.org/wastewater-characterisation
(it's our forum sub-category on "Wastewater characterisation and mathematical modelling")

In particular the new tool by Dorothee:
Tools for the generation of sanitation systems considering novel technology options and for the quantification of nutrient, water, and total solid balances at the scale of an urban setting
forum.susana.org/wastewater-characterisa...-urban-setting#26047

Please keep us informed about your progress.

Regards,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum via SEI project ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
E-mail me to get involved: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • RanF

Dear all,

I am happy to announce that the test version of ECAM V.2.2 including faecal sludge management is now available.

We are currently peer-reviewing, testing and translating it before the tool will be officially launched. If you have any feedback or questions, they are very welcomed.

If anybody here is interested to participate in a more in-depth peer-review please send me an e-mail.

@Elisabeth: Thank you for sharing the links and adding the link to thread about ECAM

Regards,
Ranjin

Ranjin Fernando
Advisor
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.815 seconds