Successful experiences on a good working service for UDDT / Ecosan system in urban area?

12.4k views

Page selection:
  • DavidAlan
  • David Crosweller

Re: Successful experiences on a good working service for UDDT / Ecosan system in urban area?

Florent, we have circa close to 100 community peri-urban UDDTs that serve 4,500 people. This was started about five years ago. We have looked at several business opportunities, but have not, as yet, proven any of them.

See also here on the forum:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/161-sa...ducherry-state-india

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Florent
    Topic Author
  • sustainable sanitation study project manager

Re: Successful experiences on a good working service for UDDT / Ecosan system in urban area?

Hello kwhitehouse and Shannon,
and thanks for your feedback!
I think we're at the same step than kwhitehouse about our project in Gabon...
I already get knowledge about soil action in haiti due to contact with a french ngo named CEFREPAD whose get involved in a similar project still at study level...
If you get reports or external evaluation about soil project and own service, I will be very interested.

Cheers

• shannonmearlsmith

Hi there,

I'm not quite sure if it's what you are looking for, but SOIL could be an interesting case study for you to look at, as we have an EcoSan service that includes over 400 households in urban and peri-urban Haiti.

www.oursoil.org

• kwhitehouse

Hi Florent,

I am Kenya Enterprise Lead for WSUP and we are literally about to pilot an ECOSAN service model in Kenya next month. We have built the service concept from a year of research monitoring consumer needs, behaviours, availability, use and misuse of local santiation infrastructure, and vetted all our concepts through provisional financial modelling and willingness to pay surveys. Happy to talk about our findings in a few months but happy to discuss your ideas sooner and bounce ideas off each other.

• cecile
  • Water and Sanitation Sector Leader for SNV in Burkina Faso

Re: Why did the World's biggest eco-toilet scheme fail?

Florent,
Regarde du côté du CREPA et de l'Afrique du sud (gros projet d'UDDT avec collecte de la municipalité à eThekwini je crois), il y a un projet à San Fernando La Union aux Philippines où la vidange des fosses est collective et aussi Soil en Haiti ? Quelques pistes ...

Cécile

+++++++
Google Translate:

Florent,
Look toward CREPA and South Africa (large project with UDDT collection in eThekwini municipality I think), there is a project in San Fernando La Union in the Philippines where pit emptying is collective and also Soil in Haiti? Some ideas ...
Cécile Laborderie
MAKATI Environnement

• Florent
    Topic Author

Bonjour à tous,
oui Cécile, je crois que tu as bien résumé la situation. Les urines sont actuellement collectées et valorisées. Au-delà des données techniques pour un tel service et des différents aléas dues aux différents contextes d'infrastructures et d'exploitation, ma question est de pouvoir capitaliser sur de l'expérience existante sur la mise en place d'un tel service. Nous avons déjà établi pour un projet similaire tous les préalables à la mise en place d'un service mais qui est encore au statut d'avant projet détaillé sans capitalisation réelle de son fonctionnement. Cette expérience n'ayant pas encore permis de débuter la construction des 1000 toilettes UDDT (prévu à Port-Gentil au Gabon).
Je remercie au passage Scottchen pour ses apports.

Nous voudrions pouvoir apporter un conseil, en connaissance d'un fonctionnement réel d'un service qui est toujours en fonctionnement (après plusieurs années) et sans aide extérieure (financière ou technique) plutôt que de baser notre conseil sur de l'avant projet détaillé basé sur des études préalables incluant des business plans aussi pertinent soient-ils....

Merci de vos retours.

A+

Hello everyone,
Cécile yes, I think you summed it up. The urine is being collected and valued. Beyond the technical data for such a service and different hazards due to various infrastructure and operational contexts, my question is to capitalize on existing experience of the establishment of such a service. We have already established a similar project for all the prerequisites for the establishment of a service but is still the status of detailed design without actual funding operation. This experience has not yet allowed to start construction of the 1,000 UDD toilets (expected in Port-Gentil in Gabon).
Thank Scottchen to pass for his contributions.

We would like to give advice, and knowledge of a real operation of a service which is still in operation (after several years) and without external assistance (financial or technical) rather than base our advice on the detailed design based on previous studies including business plans as relevant as they are ....

Thank you for your feedback.

A +

• scottchen
  • trying to set up the most profitable Ecosan project for the world

Hi, Florent:
Use the NGO money to buy a truck for a volunteer to collect and use the urine and faeces as the fertilizer grwoing vegetables..selling them to the local people. Then, he can surive after the NGO departure.
best wishes
Scott
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972

• scottchen
  • trying to set up the most profitable Ecosan project for the world

Hi, Elisabeth:
The major cause of the failure is that we do not have a national policy on the sustainable sanitation.We are a country controlled by the cenratral governments which just issued 2015-2030 National Sustainaible Agriculture Plan without mentioning the sanitation at all.
As I pointed out in the Ordos project conference, few Chinese like the family plan which is much stinkier than the toilet smell..but all of are following it.
The new top leaders only talk about the sustainable, green, circular,low-carbon economy..without mentioning the toilet.
best wishes
Scott
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972

• cecile
  • Water and Sanitation Sector Leader for SNV in Burkina Faso

Hi,

If I understand well, the project Florent is talking about, completed the construction of 400 UDDT toilet for domestic use (houses) and they set up a collective service to empty the pits, transport and treat (compost? co-compost ?)faeces+ash. Now the service is effectively running because it is supported by an international NGO. They are preparing a business plan to transfer the service (pit emptying - transport - composting, provision of ash or other material) to a local organisation. This means no more financial and organisational support from the NGO. Florent is looking for successful example of business scheme where a local organisation proposes this service and is financially sustainable (i.e. how much is paid per household, eventually subsidies from the municipality ?, how to market and get benefits from compost selling)...
Do I understand right Florent ?

(What becomes of the urine in your system ? Is it infiltrated in the ground or collected and reused as well ?)

Cécile
Cécile Laborderie
MAKATI Environnement

• Florent
    Topic Author

Bonjour,
oui effectivement, il s'agit bien de toilettes à séparation des urines à la source (donc il s'agit bien d'UDDT). Ces toilettes dans un bâtiment indépendant de la maison sont déjà construites mais à ce stade, il est difficile pour moi de donner plus de détails de localisation. La matière sèche apportée est effectivement principalement des cendres en faible quantité pour absorber les jus.
Thanks,

+++++++++++

Note by moderator: Google Translate translation:

Hello,
yes actually it is indeed to urine separation at source toilets (so it is indeed UDDT). These toilets in a separate building of the house are already built but at this stage it is difficult for me to give more location details. The dry matter is actually made mainly small amount of ash to absorb the juices.
Thanks,

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Florent,
I am really confused now. What do you mean by "ecosan service"? Do you mean UDDTs?
And where have the 400 ecosan infrastructures been built or is this part of a theoretical case only? Which carbon matter needs to be supplied, do you mean ash? Or are you talking about composting toilets?
Please clarify, thanks.

Elisabeth

P.S. I will move it out of the Erdos thread in that case.

P.P.S. You could also write in French if you prefer, we could try with Google Translate. :-)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Florent
    Topic Author

Dear both,
sorry for misunderstanding. In fact I'm more in a research on service issue than a technical solution. In order to explain better my position, I'm looking for a success story of an ecosan service somewhere in the world.
After the departure of an international NGO the local staff want to continue the Ecosan service. So, I want to show us a succes running service.
The context is that around 400 ecosan infrastructures has been constructed (independant of the house) and an exploitation service has been set off. Objectives of the service is to realize the emptying pit, to supply carbon matter, to compost in fertilizer.
We worked at a such service in Gabon with TDM but still at study level with business plan and before detailled project but already in running situation. So, I would like benefit from a success identical service in order to accompagny these 2 gaits

Sorry for my low level in english .I will be pleased to read you.

Regards,

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds