Trapping odours in Waterless urinals?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Trapping odours in Waterless urinals

Hi Jill,

Waterless urinals are great. But they need to be from the right manufacturer and their recommended maintenance regimes must be followed. Please go back to that manufacturer and tell them that this advice was silly: "I have been told by manufacturers to place vegetable oil into the traps to contain odours". You can't just convert any old urinal into a waterless urinal just by adding some vegetable oil!

There are two ways of odour traps in proper waterless urinals: either with a blocking fluid (= the example that Patrick gave in the post before this one) or a silicone curtain membrane (my personal preference). Both require maintenance. If that is neglected, it can start smelling.

The wikipedia article on urinals has a pretty good section on waterless urinals, see here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinal#Waterless_urinals
The last two photos in the photo gallery of that section (and some of the text and references) were added by me. I used to dabble a fair bit with waterless urinals. They are all over the place in Germany nowadays.

So your university needn't have replaced their waterless urinals with flush urinals unless they picked the wrong manufacturer to start with. More likely, they just didn't have a good maintenance routine. ;-)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • toiletrevolution
  • Botanist gone rogue - Waterless toilet and urinal supplier

Hi Jill,

Odour from a urinal comes from two places; the sewer and the fitting itself. Using a flush urinal the urinal is rinsed with water periodically to remove urine and there is a water barrier ( u bend) between your nose and the sewer that is replenish with clean water each time the urinal is flushed. This is how the smells are avoided.
Most Waterless urinals ( and i must say here that i am a dealer for one brand ( www.toiletrevolution.com/waterless-urinals/) use an oil based trap to prevent sewer odours but the trap has been redesigned so it is not simply a case of adding oil to a traditional U Bend because the urine would flush the oil through and leave a “trap” of urine that would smell. The second smell issue is that with all waterless urinals the fitting needs to be cleaned down with a proprietary fluid that is compatible with the oil based trap. When this is done there are no issues with smells and they are installed all over the world. 👍
Patrick Boylan
www.toiletrevolution.com/

• JillHass
  • Water & sanitation expert, with 30+ years experience in construction design & implementation management, and specialized in emergency response due to climate change or conflict/violent settings. Previously CTO for technology firm (patents, product development & commercialization); Consulting Engineer in asset management of municipal infrastructure

I have been told by manufacturers to place vegetable oil into the traps to contain odours, but in practice I have witnessed that this method still doesn't eliminate odours.
One building at my university converted all waterless urinals to water flushing ones because of the constant odour issue.
Global Technical Director, WASH
Relief International
E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
M: +1 (647) 268-4620
S: j.l.hass

• ToluPosh
    Topic Author

Oh...I did not. Will check it.
Thank you.
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

I'm just wondering if you have browsed through the existing threads in this sub-category on urinals because the various options have been discussed there: forum.susana.org/172-urinals

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• ToluPosh
    Topic Author

Trapping odours in Waterless urinals

To properly trap urine odours from urinals(waterless) what would you suggest to be used?

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds