East Africa now switches to Biogas

Page selection:
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: East Africa now switches to Biogas

Thanks for linking that comprehensive article. It's nice to hear that food processing industries in EA are discovering bio-gas on a larger scale and that there is some success at a institutional and house-hold level too.

Personally I doubt the relatively expensive fixed done HH biogas units will ever take off though. What is really needed, is a affordable, durable and mass-produced plastic bag biodigester for that to ever scale up at rural HH level.

I recently talked to the Ugandan representatives the novel rain-water harvesting "bags" called BOB: drwh.enterpriseworks.org/ which is pretty similar in design to what an ideal plastic-bag biodigester would look like too. Maybe I can convince them to look into bio-digesters too.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Doreen
    Topic Author

East Africa now switches to Biogas

Dear Colleagues,

I came across this article in the East African newspaper about the rising interest in Biogas in the region.

Please follow the link to read the article: www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/EAC-switch...hou97kz/-/index.html

They even mention Umnade Trust biogas units and the Naivasha Bus Park Public Toilet with a biogas plant which was funded by GTZ (now GIZ), EU and SIDA.

Best regards,

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds