Circular economy for sanitation: examples from India

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Circular economy for sanitation: examples from India

Hi Alison,
Actually I am not after individual reports for each project but just after adding each of the six projects to the SuSanA project database. This only takes a few minutes per project as you'd only need to add the bare bone data (like duration, title, activities) and then a link to your full report or paper. I’d be able to take that from your final paper myself, although I was hoping your MSc students (or whoever is working on it) could do it, maybe after the paper is finished - as another fast and simple way of disseminating the research?

Are you finding the SuSanA project database useful?

As an aside: your Nanomembrane Toilet project is described really well in the project database: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects/database/details/62 . Perhaps now is a good time for an update as you got further funding beyond 2018, it seems?

Cheers,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • AParker
    Topic Author
  • Lecturer in International Water and Sanitation at Cranfield University, working on many apsects of urban water and sanitation, including leading Cranfield's response to the BMGF Reinvent the Toilet Challenge.

We're looking for 6 cases. I'll see what we come up with and where the best place to share it is. Our main deliverable will be an open access journal paper with all the cases in but it may be possible to produce individual reports too.
Alison Parker
www.nanomembranetoilet.org
Apply to study our MSc in Community Water and Sanitation:
www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/masters/comm...-and-sanitation.html

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Alison,

When you say "SuSanA database" do you mean the project database or the library? I am now wondering if the library has perhaps more information for this topic than the project database. We do have lots of library entries for India by now (256 entries, see here: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...title=&author=&year=).

I still don't really get the semantics: how would you describe the difference between circular enconomy and resource recovery? From your explanation they seem to be the same: "it promotes the idea more of sanitation as a resource rather than a waste, and promotes integration with other sectors, especially food production"

Also, you said: "of course we can upload our report to the SuSanA database!" I am just wondering if would be beneficial to upload individual projects to the project database as well rather than just the report to the library to make sure people can find and analyse projects via different means.

How many projects are you including in your report?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• AParker
    Topic Author
  • Lecturer in International Water and Sanitation at Cranfield University, working on many apsects of urban water and sanitation, including leading Cranfield's response to the BMGF Reinvent the Toilet Challenge.

Hi Elisabeth,

Obviously the Susana database was our first port of call! But as you say it's not comprehensive......

On circular economy - I agree it's a very similar idea to resource recovery. I think it promotes the idea more of sanitation as a resource rather than a waste, and promotes integration with other sectors, especially food production.

And if course we can upload our report to the SuSanA database!

Alison
Alison Parker

• Elisabeth

Hi Alison,

Could you perhaps list the ones that you have already found so that people can check if their favorite projects are in your list already?

E.g. I wonder if you have gone through the SuSanA project database yet? If I filter it by India and by "resource recovery" I get these 11
(www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects...&vbl_15%5B445%5D=445):
+++++++++

2015 - 2016
Clearford Water systems
Jambudiyapura Village Total Sanitation Solution

Sustainability of decentralised communal small bore sewerage (also, settled or effluent sewerage) and simple wastewater treatment for local reuse in rural villages with low water supply, and limited skills and funding for long term operation

2011 - 2015
Climate Foundation
Conversion of human waste into biochar using pyrolysis at a community-scale facility in Kenya

To design, build, and test a self-contained system that can pyrolyze (decompose organic material at high temperatures without oxygen) human solid waste into a type of biological charcoal (biochar) that captures and stores carbon.

2016 - 2019
ENVIU
Accelerate sanitation businesses focusing on resource recovery in India

To develop viable sanitation ventures with local business partners in urban India based on existing treatment and reuse business models

2017 - 2020
Duke University
Developing sanitation solutions and in-country manufacturing partnerships - acceleration strategy (RTTC Phase 3)

To develop and test self-contained waste treatment systems in India and South Africa with a focus on transitioning these technologies to field-ready prototypes

2012 - 2015
ZEF (Center for Development Research), University of Bonn
AG-WATSAN Nexus: Guiding pro-poor investments in the nexus among domestic water quality and quantity, sanitation and hygiene from the bottom-up

Proposing policy recommendations on investment and priority activities and tools to empower households and communities to monitor their WATSAN environment

2012 - 2015
ttz Bremerhaven (Technology Transfer Centrum Bremerhaven)
Natural water systems and treatment technologies to cope with water shortages in urbanized areas in India (NaWaTech)

Integrated approaches that comprise the entire urban water cycle, reuse wastewater and prevent freshwater pollution, prioritise flexible and cost-effective small-scale natural and technical systems.

2015 - 2017
BORDA (Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association)
Nexus projects - linking sanitation to agriculture

Food production and settlement hygiene in poor peri-urban regions in India

2011 - 2015
University of South Florida
NEWgenerator for recovery of nutrients, energy and water from human wastes

The NEWgenerator is a hybrid anaerobic membrane bioreactor (AnMBR) machine which is packaged in a small-footprint modular housing for off-grid deployment and can be paired with pit latrines, septic tanks, fecal sludge pits and self-standing toilets.

2014 - 2016
Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC)
Execution arm for joint projects between the India Department of Biotechnology and the Foundation as part of Grand Challenges India

Six projects executed by Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Pradin Technologies, Institute of Chemical Technology Mumbai, Eram Scientific and Amrita University

2011 - 2017
RTI International
Electrochemical disinfection with integrated biomass oven for solid waste processing and energy harvesting

Developing a fully integrated toilet system that combines electrochemical disinfection technology for liquid waste processing and recovery, with a revolutionary new biomass energy conversion unit.

2015 - 2017
Duke University
ADPL (Anaerobic Digestion Pasteurization Latrine) Duke Biogas toilet

A simple, energy neutral self-contained sanitation technology relying on anaerobic digestion and heat pasteurization of the treated effluent.

++++++++++++++

Could I get your team interested in adding all the additional ones that you have found into the SuSanA project database as well? Wouldn't it be awesome to have one such centralised project database handy rather than having to hunt around in a number of separate databases and research paper depositories?

Oh and I assume circular economy is synonymous here with resource recovery. Do you also see it that way? If then, then why use a different term? If not then what is the difference?

This is how Wikipedia explains the two (does it require changes?):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_economy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_recovery

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• AParker
    Topic Author

Circular economy for sanitation: examples from India

Hi everyone,

I'm looking out for examples of projects that are implementing the circular economy for sanitation in India. Could be projects that are producing biogas, fertiliser, soil conditioner, insect protein, clean water or anything else? Could operate at any scale but must be being implemented, not just research projects in the lab. We're looking to generate some case studies to help the whole sector learn what works!

Obviously we've doen a big scan online, but I wanted to check if there are any projects you think should be included or that we might not have found yet.

Thanks!

Alison
Alison Parker
The following user(s) like this post: ddiba

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds