How to catch them young

Page selection:
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: How to catch them young

Let me give info on a few kidos, doing Environmental initiatives like a professional. 
Mr Sunil Mysore from Bengaluru.. is one of the Greats.. 
With best regards 
AjitSeshadri 
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Re: How to catch them young

Hello Paresh,

I love and appreciate this post a lot. It goes to show that what we do is a huge part of who we are at a personal level. I have kids too, and they are a huge part of my journey. Their little minds are soaking in everything I am passionate about with respect to circularity in the sanitation sector. My Son cant stop talking about Biochar (in this case produced from Faecal Sludge) and is always keen to take part in the production and application process. 

Its amazing to see kids getting involved early in managing waste! Children's books are amazing for sparking curiosity and shaping attitudes, especially when it comes to topics like waste management and what role they can play in the sanitation conversation. These stories can really plant seeds of change in young minds.

It's certainly not just about brining them to the job to keep them occupied, or reading them a mare bedtime story; these experiences teach empathy, critical thinking, creativity, responsibility and how to appreciate our environment. By giving our children the tools and knowledge now, we're setting them up to tackle waste challenges with confidence later on.

Thanx for sharing Paresh!
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

How to catch them young

The International  Day Of Zero Waste is yet another opportunity to highlight the profound impact of WASH on the sustainability of our planet and the significance of altering our individual and collective behaviours. “Catch them young” is an adage one often hears when discussing behaviour change, but how is not often discussed. Based on my own experience of trying to raise a kid, I think an incredibly effective avenue is through children’s literature 📖

Children’s books are designed to spark curiosity, ignite imagination, and shape attitudes from a tender age. By introducing stories that delve into the complex world of waste management, including sanitation workers who often face stigma, we can influence young minds and hopefully plant seeds of change we all wish to see.

One can think of myriad stories waiting to be discovered. They include the heroic tales of Bezwada Wilson, Late Bindeshwar Pathak, Afroz Shah, Sheela Patel, and many others. They also include educational narratives explaining the importance of segregating, composting, reducing, reusing, and recycling, RRR. Besides entertainment, these books have the potential to educate; fostering a generation that sees the waste problem as an opportunity to bring about a positive change.

The impact of such literary experiences goes beyond mere entertainment. They cultivate empathy, critical thinking, and an appreciation for the environment. By empowering the future generation with awareness, we could nurture a generation poised to tackle the challenge with determination.

As we observe the International Day of Zero Waste, let us commit to investing in resources that empower our youth. Let’s champion initiatives that bring sustainability education into schools, libraries, and homes all over. Let’s catch them young and, together, create a world where waste is not just managed but minimised, where every action contributes to a cleaner, greener tomorrow.

Also posted on LinkedIn

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri, Chaiwe

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds