Free stock photos around menstruation - high-quality photos with real menstrual blood and sustainable period products

Page selection:
  • Britta
    Topic Author
  • Britta Wiebe is the Co-Founder of Vulvani, a bilingual educational online platform about periods, female health and sexuality. The main focus lies in menstrual education. The Vulvani Academy provides educational, yet entertaining online courses for all age groups, within a private and business context.

Re: Free stock photos around menstruation - high-quality photos with real menstrual blood and sustainable period products

Hi Elisabeth, 

thank you so much for connecting and your kind words about our pictures. We really appreciate your support.

Thanks for sharing the forum thread with, I loved reading through the conversation and shared a little bit more about how we see our period photography as period art.

Cheers
Britta

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Free stock photos around menstruation - high-quality photos with real menstrual blood and sustainable period products

Hi Britta,
It's so great to see you here! I came across your work when I saw one of your images used in a Wikipedia article. It was this one, in the Wikipedia article on menstruation :

Photo of menstrual cup

It struck me for two reasons:
  • Great photo, real blood and not in any way "gross".
  • Open access licence which means your photos can immediately be incorporated into a range of Wikipedia articles - yay!! (we'll always give full attribution and thus drive more traffic to your website as well, potentially)
Let's include more of your wonderful photos into the Wikipedia articles on for example menstruation, menstrual cup, menstrual hygiene management, menstrual hygiene day, culture and menstruation, sustainable menstruation, tampon tax,... They all need good images!

Completely agree with you about the need to reduce taboos around menstruation, and your photos are a great step in the right direction!

We've had a related discussion about how to show photos of faeces in a positive manner (again to break taboos). This is the forum thread: forum.susana.org/162-public-awareness-ra...-to-keep-it-tasteful  Would you like to post into that thread and give us some advice on what you think makes a photo suitable, special, positive, arty?

I would be very curious to learn from your approach.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

• Britta
    Topic Author
  • Britta Wiebe is the Co-Founder of Vulvani, a bilingual educational online platform about periods, female health and sexuality. The main focus lies in menstrual education. The Vulvani Academy provides educational, yet entertaining online courses for all age groups, within a private and business context.

Free stock photos around menstruation - high-quality photos with real menstrual blood and sustainable period products

Hello everyone. I am Britta and the co-founder of Vulvani. In November, we launched the Vulvani Gallery for you. It’s the world's first free stock photo gallery exclusively for menstruation. We don't want any more photos that reproduce prejudices about menstruation (à la blue fluid as period blood in advertising). This is why we are creating high-quality photos with real menstrual blood and sustainable period products. We are from now on sharing our favorite photos completely for free on our website: vulvani.com/en/vulvani-gallery-free-stock-photos-menstruation
Our motivation? The menstruation taboo does not disappear by itself and as we all know, a picture is worth a thousand words. We do not want a possible contribution towards the normalization of periods to fail because good visual material is missing! The images are under the Creative Common license - we simply ask you to give us the credits for our work when publishing them (more information about that on our website). 
It makes me happy to see our photos being used, hoping to break the period taboo a little more together. 
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or feedback. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best of wishes from Germany Britta 

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds