Introduction: Hans Christian Dworak (GIZ, Germany and SuSanA secretariat)

Page selection:
  • Hans Christian Dworak
    Topic Author
  • Intern SuSanA Secretariat

Re: Introduction: Hans Christian Dworak (GIZ, Germany)

Dear Elisabeth,

Yes, you are right, Dominik is a colleague of mine :) We worked together on this topic and wrote two separate theses, focusing on different aspects. My supervisor was Günter Langergraber, who was an active member in the SuSanA network for many years. He was part of WG 10 Working Group "Operation and Maintenance", if I remember correctly.

If someone is interested in my thesis, you can find it in the library: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3745

The title of the thesis is:

Identification, Design and Financial Analysis of an Appropriate Sanitation System for Coastal Areas of Small Island Developing States in the South Pacific

Abstract:

Rural coastal areas of Small Island Developing States in the South Pacific are often characterized by high groundwater tables, flood proneness and scarce freshwater resources. Thin and permeable soil layers featuring a limited unsaturated zone make the groundwater lens below these islands highly vulnerable to microbiological and chemical contamination. The prevalent sanitation systems (i.e. Single Pit; Dry and Pour-Flush Latrine) may cause serious degradation of groundwater quality. Hence freshwater supply on many small islands is often limited to rainwater harvesting. Flood events may cause toilets to be inoperable and pose a threat to human health by spreading faecal pathogens in the environment. The objective of this thesis is to identify, design and financially analyse an appropriate sanitation system for these rural coastal areas. The problem was approached in a literature review and during on-site research in Vanuatu. Eight sanitation systems were analysed regarding their applicability under the prevalent conditions (i.e. high groundwater table, flood proneness, limited water supply). Urine-Diverting-Dry-Toilets (UDDTs) were identified as appropriate solution. Watertight vaults built above ground make this system most suitable. Crucial design aspects of UDDTs were described and combined with findings form the on-site research. This was the basis for a technical planning of the facility. A financial analysis (comparing the prevalent Pour-Flush Latrine and the UDDT) was conducted for a potential pilot site on Emae, Vanuatu. Bills of Quantity were compiled for both systems and served as basis for the analysis. A Present Value evaluation, including the costs for construction, operation and maintenance, showed that the Pour-Flush Latrine is the preferred option from a financial perspective. Nonetheless, UDDTs are very likely to have a comparatively better Net Present Value to Pour Flush Latrines, if potential benefits and external costs are included.

If you have any questions, feedback or comments please feel free to post them!

@Heiner, may the toilet gods be with all of us 😉

Best regards and Happy New Year,
Christian
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, Prasanta, Hatchade

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Hans Christian,

Welcome! Can you tell us more about your MSc thesis (attach it to a post / upload to SuSanA library)? Sounds interesting. I hear Vanuatu and am reminded of another forum post by Dominik Raab which was probably one of your team members / colleagues:
forum.susana.org/289-sanitation-safety-p...in-the-south-pacific

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Heiner
  • I am a retired organic farmer and interested in nutrient cycles. As an volunteer I now travel mainly to poor countries and together with locals I would like to find new ways of sustainable agriculture. This is beyond the regulations of IFOAM.

welcome :)
may the gods of the toilets be on your side for the next 30 years!!!

Heiner
Heiner, the old farmer.....
The following user(s) like this post: Hatchade

• Hans Christian Dworak
    Topic Author
  • Intern SuSanA Secretariat

Introduction: Hans Christian Dworak (GIZ, Germany)

Hello everyone,

Last week I joined the SuSanA secretariat as an intern.
Therefore I would like to introduce myself to the forum community.

In November I finished the joint master programme ‘Natural Resources Management and Ecological Engineering’ at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (Boku), Vienna and Lincoln University, New Zealand. In the course of my studies, as well as in my master thesis, I focused on the WASH sector. The objectives of my thesis were to identify, design and financially analyse an appropriate sanitation system for rural areas of Small Island Developing States, using Vanuatu as representative example.

Since a few years I am volunteering in the Water and Sanitation Department of the Viennese Red Cross disaster relief service. Currently I am participating in various trainings as preparation for international deployment in an emergency response unit (ERU).

I am really happy to be part of this network and community from now on :)

Best regards,
Hans Christian Dworak
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds